GO!

Ginger is doing great on raw but she poops twice a week?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Ginger

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 7:23pm PST 
'Nice' poop, firm but not hard and larger than Max's daily poop but twice a week?

Any other dogs that do this?

I have been feeding her twice a day as once a day was causing annoying exercise 'diarrhea' when we went for 2 walks a day. After three weeks she is just starting rabbit and is fine on chicken, pork, beef and organ as long as it is well mixed in the rest of the food. By itself organ really needs to be rolled on and Max sometimes gets to eat it for her. She is getting about 2x the bone she needs for nutrition so far and a big meal of pork shoulder bone was no problem at all.

I know this seems like I am progressing really fast but I am giving the tiniest bits of new stuff the first meal and doubling it every meal. She is only getting 1.6% of her actual weight as she is on a diet and I think that is helping keep poop in good order [except for how often it is produced!]. I would think many 19 pound dogs would need more than 2%.

Her diet is going great. Just yesterday I felt vertebra - only in the middle of her back though. For a week I have been able to feel the lower part of her ribs. Her upper hip, rib and shoulder areas still have a heavy load of fat though. I don't think she has lost any weight though.
[notify]
Feather

Just a quick nap- before bed- time!!

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 10:14am PST 
Feather only poops about 2-3x per week. Always has. But, she also gets almost obbstipated from too much bone and will occasionally go 5-6 days without a poop during those times!

She's a beauty, and I'm glad all is going well so far, except the poop! (or lack of...)
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 11:22am PST 
Thanks Feather. Constipation concerns me. She doesn't drink much water, not even in the food dish so I am working on that too.

Kind of hard to know if I should advance in her raw feeding if I haven't seen any poop!
[notify]

Feather

Just a quick nap- before bed- time!!

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 11:31am PST 
I know, it is hard. Maybe she is ready for much less bone?
[notify]