GO!

Raw satin balls

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Sasha

Better watch- yourself!

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 5:51am PST 
Has anyone here tried and had success with satin balls for weight gaining? I'm having alot of trouble with Dante's appetite, it comes and goes. He's on alternating kibble and raw days but there's not alot of difference for either one. He already gets 2 eggs a day in his kibble as his eating stimulant and hopefully good source of fat, but he needs to gain a couple pounds. There's quite a few recipes out there, tho I think I found one I like. But anyone here try them before?
[notify]
Phineas AD- OA OAJ

all drive all- the time...

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 8:08am PST 
I have used satin balls with my young guy. He is a spaztic busy-body and I have always had a hard time keeping weight on him, solely due to his activity level and metabolism. He is now 2.5 and its getting easier, but he's always prone to being lean.

However, how old is Dante? I'd be a bit more focused on getting him to eat what you put in front of him first (especially as I believe he is young?) before you continue to up the ante of value of what he eats. You may back yourself into a corner of him ONLY eating amazing stuff like satin balls and that would be not good.

How much exercise is he getting? How are you feeding him? Does the food go up if he doesnt eat? I realize that not all dogs are the same and that there truly are some picky eaters out there, and that you are concerned about his weight... But again I just dont want you to get stuck with a picky dog that only eats filet mignon! thinking Worth evaluating all that "procedural" stuff for sure to see if there are any changes you can make.
[notify]
Sasha

Better watch- yourself!

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 5:44pm PST 
He is 5 months old right now. And agreed I have always believed and told clients, "if they're hungry they'll eat." However I've never had trouble actually putting weight on a dog before. I believe in keeping dogs lean, and my dogs get very large amounts of exercise so feeding has never been an issue. Anyway because I know that coddles too much and teaches them to ignore plain food, I have not used anything outside his regular diet to encourage him to eat. I have a friend with a somewhat chunky pit bull that crumbles up treats to put over the kibble, cooked steak etc and I just think that's silly. Besides as you said teaching them to only eat for that. His additives to kibble or raw are only what both of my dogs get in their regular diet: eggs fish oil and yogurt.

Feeding wise- he will not eat three times a day, as I wanted to keep him at being young and so lean. When i'm lucky he will eat his breakfast, more often than not he fasts about 12-13 hours between his pm feedings. Now granted, if he was an adult dog cool, once a day feeding is just fine with me. However, in his one meal time, he will only eat about 1 pound of raw or 2 cups of kibble. Which is definitely not enough for a 50+ lb puppy that will be growing to 120+ lbs. Soo yeah there's that thinking

Exercise is definitely sufficient as well. 15-20 min leash walk in the morning before work, 15-20 min off leash woods run at lunch, and 40 min to an hour off leash woods run at night. Granted he eats much better at night, especially after a dog park trip. But again he will only eat so much, and I definitely cannot up the morning walk just to try and get him to eat more.

So the thought was to just supplement satin balls for a little while, see if that helps him get over this hump. Cuz the funny thing is when I first got him, he would eat ANYTHING I put in front of him. And that was 100% raw. However this eating thing seemed to start with his teething. He was damn near toothless for a while, so obviously was having trouble with raw I guess. So when he stopped eating well then is when I got the kibble to help him out while teething. (And help my wallet out lol) But even now with teeth he barely cares about raw and that's just mind boggling to me thinking
[notify]

Phineas AD- OA OAJ

Barked: Thu Aug 1, '13 2:16pm PST 
Hmmm.... That is tough. The only other advice I can give is firstly have him checked out by the vet to ensure nothing is wrong, either with his teeth or internally, or secondly just wondering if he eats differently due to any environmental factors? Some dogs are crazy sensitive and react accordingly. Does he eat at the same time as the other dog? Does he need his own space?

You obviously know what you are doing so those are just stabs in the dark to see if any stones have gone unturned...

At the end of the day, it could also just be a phase. I have had other friends whose dogs were so picky at a young age that they also would barely eat, and now they do okay...

You could always try the satin balls on a limited basis just to get those extra calories coming and back off when you feel its the right time...

Sorry I dont have more help to offer! shrug

Good luck!
[notify]
Sasha

Better watch- yourself!

Barked: Thu Aug 1, '13 2:39pm PST 
Thanks Phineas, I appreciate it way to go His teeth are mostly in now thankfully so that is eliminating that concern, i was worried about that myself for a while. For the internally i was not really wanting to run alot of tests simply because all functions are normal: ie pooping drinking beautiful coat and good activity level. However we are going for a fecal retest tomorrow, he had a small case of roundworms a month or so back. I felt that should only affect his weight though not his eating habits, but we'll see whether there are any leftover causing upset. There's no environmental changes though, eats the same time as Sasha, each on their assigned side of the kitchen.

Also what recipe did you use for the satin balls? So far i'm liking the one i found on pitbull-chat.com It reads

1lb hamburger
1 1/3 cup Total cereal
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 raw egg
6 tablespoons wheat germ
1 package Knox unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (may use my fish oil)
2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
pinch of salt (probably do away with that there's enough in their meat)

Honestly i don't know what half that stuff is lol but some of the other ones i saw were ever weirder so. Also thought the total cereal was strange but shrug
[notify]
Phineas AD- OA OAJ

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 1:15pm PST 
I can't remember where the actual recipe I got was from, but it was similar to that without all the cereal. Pretty sure I used rolled oats, but not all that other weird stuff. I also think mine may have even had peanut butter and/or cream cheese. I'd go easy at first because they are SO rich. You may have a serious blow out n your hands if you overdo it in the beginning. He may not eat pumpkin on its own, but it couldnt hurt to throw some in to try to balance out the richness and hopefully keep things in decent working order.

laugh out loud

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 7:08pm PST 
I made up the recipe in ND as posted. I wouldn't leave out the weird stuff, at least not the wheat germ. When I put about 600 calories of the stuff into Max's tracking it came up really nice in everything but protein, only about half the amount I want him to get which makes perfect sense considering how high in fat cheap hamburger is. Loads of stuff like folate, vitamin E and K, pantothenic acid, thiamine, manganese. Too much iron for the zinc and copper is low but there was enough zinc which is pretty amazing. With the fish oil then the omega 3 was just about 1:1 with omega 6. I don't know which ingredient is key but overall a couple of these might perk his appetite right up.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/2928198/2
[notify]
Sasha

Better watch- yourself!

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 11:35am PST 
Awesome thanks Max! =: And again for the input Phineas big grin Took him to the vet and his fecal came back all clear, yay for DE! So that's good. The vet feels he's a great weight cuz she wants a large breed puppy like him to be lean as well. I agree as he sits right now he's alright, but if he loses any then we're in trouble. He's currently eating juuust enough to keep this body condition.

My complaint now is that he's not interested in raw. When i first got him there was nothing raw he wouldn't eat. Sasha is eating straight raw, and i would like to at least put him on alternating days but shrug I don't want to fast him a meal just to try and get him eating raw unless it's truly to go pure raw again. But i'm worried that may mess up his current eating. Thoughts?

By the way Maxwell i'm impressed that you know all the calories and nutrition data he is supposed to be getting, (I've seen from some of your other posts.) I feel like my head would be swimming trying to break it down to that level thinking
[notify]