GO!

Beginning Raw Feeding?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 6:21pm PST 
Hello,

A few weeks ago, I began to research raw feeding. Although I do not have a dog yet (which is why I do not have a dog profile), I would like to be well educated on the subject before I begin to research other topics for dogs.

I would like to know what kind of muscle and organ meat should be fed, and normal meat (such as Beef, Chicken, etc. etc.) I was also wondering if it was alright for the dog if I fed raw meat from the supermarket. Just the basics in general.

Another thing I would like to know is, is it safe to give dogs plain yogurt? If so, how often should I feed it and how much?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 9:40pm PST 
Here is a guide that very nicely sums up what you need to know starting out. Dogster puts in sneaky spaces so look for it when you cut/paste this.
http://www.chanceslittlewebsite.com/prey-model-raw.html

Gr ocery store meat is fine, just be sure it isn't 'enhanced' with a high sodium solution.

Yogurt may or may not be okay with a given dog. Like most mammals the enzyme needed to digest milk sugar may not be made after weaning and you never know if your dog is going to be able to use dairy products or not.

Good luck, hope you get the dog of your dreams and find the resources to feed fresh food to him/her.
[notify]