GO!

New to raw, lots of questions

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Quinn

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 11:14am PST 
I have a 4 yr old Siberian Husky, and we've struggled since day one with soft stools and interest in food. I've tried every high end kibble imaginable, and have ruled out any medical issue with my vet. So finally taking the plunge and thinking a raw diet is the way to go. I'm beyond convinced it's the best and healthiest diet, but more than that, it's almost my last try at hard stool.

I'm about a month in, and HOLY COW the difference! Hard, small stool only once a day. And she LOVES to eat! But it does look like maybe she's dropped a bit of weight. So, here's the quick version of my laundry list of questions

1. How much do I feed a 52 lb highly active dog?
2. Is it OK to feed once a day?
3. How much is too much bone?
4. Are you feeding vegetables?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!
April (and Quinn)
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 12:31pm PST 
Welcome! A raw/fresh food diet is amazing.

1. How much do I feed a 52 lb highly active dog?
Whatever keeps them in good body condition, 1.5-3% ideal body weight is the usual ration for a medium sized dog. That would be somewhere between 12 and 24 ounces. Ginger has been on raw for 2 weeks. She now has a waist but it is because she hasn't all the kibble starch in her gut, she is still quite a chunky girl yet. Her ribs and shoulders have quite a layer of fat over them as does her tail area. I am able to feel her keel bone a little though. Hoping she is losing fat....

2. Is it OK to feed once a day?
Sure, if the poop is fine on that much food then go for it. Some even do gorge-fast where the dog eats something really big a couple times a week. That is advanced raw feeding and needs to be worked up up.

Max ate once a day for 5 years but this summer has been so cool I want to walk twice a day. He and Ginger will have loose stool during the second walk if I do that so am trying to condition them into counting on a meal after a walk instead of eating in the middle of the day. Part of that may be age as Max is 13 years old, part may be that Ginger is new to raw, only had her for 2 weeks. Feed after the main excitement of the day is done, whatever that may be.

3. How much is too much bone?
If poop is hard when it comes out and turns white when dry she doesn't need as much bone as he is getting.
Your dog is still new to raw. After all the usual proteins and organs are fine then try to slowly reduce the bone fed. If you feed about half whole chicken and half red meat then you are in the ball park at about 15% bone. Whole chicken, not just necks or backs as those are super bony. I had a lot of trouble with this part as Max does better with a fairly uniform diet. Using small whole fish [might contain 20% of his daily bone need] and chicken feet [about 75% of his bone need per day] as small bone items on alternating days with the usual bony meat that was really more than he should get on the other days got both of us over that hump. It turned out feeding his meager 20 ounces in 12 ounce bony/organy meals and 8 ounce meat only meals worked well. He generally gets about 1/4 chicken ribs cut from bone in chicken breasts we humans buy for ourselves and 3/4 red meat/organ/egg/fish now.

4. Are you feeding vegetables?
No. If the meat/bone/organ diet produced poops that were difficult to produce even with only the 10% bone needed for nutrition then I can see a need to add a bit of veggy mush to increase pooping comfort though.
[notify]
Quinn

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 5:17pm PST 
Thank you!
[notify]

Zeus

Everybody loves- me

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 8:19pm PST 
Zeus is a 5 month old GSD with diabetes and he got his first taste of RAW tonight. I gave him 6 ounces of raw chicken breast with bone and skin. He woofed it down with no problem. I can honestly say that this is the first time in the 2 and a half months of fostering him that his sugar fell below 100. He is on 18 units of insulin twice a day and I am going to start cutting it back tomorrow morning and see how the chicken breast affects it. This was diet was recommended by a vet. It was our last resort to get his sugar to drop seeing he has now formed floating cataracts and we don't want them getting worse. I have found a butcher that makes his own RAW mix and sells it for .95 per lb. I will be purchasing it along with a beef tongue that I am going to dehydrate for treats and a beef heart to add in to his meal once a week. I am also going to get chicken backs to change up his meal. He also is on a digestive enzyme and pancreas enzyme to help with the affects of insulin plus he gets 4 tsp. of coconut oil twice a day. My fingers are crossed and I might just be switching all my dogs over to RAW.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 9:28pm PST 
Wow, what lucky pup Zeus is to have found you! Poor guy is going to have an amazing life now.

Remember fat doesn't dehydrate and tongue is fatty. You might have less mess if you dehydrated the lean part of the heart and fed him the tongue instead. Not that I have tried to dehydrate tongue, just know that if I miss any fat on beef jerky it drips and is not nice to eat either. Of course I am not a dog, my dogs would probably like that part best.

Very jealous of $1 a pound raw stuff.
[notify]