GO!

Feeding half raw half kibble

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 7:19am PST 
We have two Rottweilers, Mason and Callie, who are littler mates and are a year and a half old. We have been feeding them raw since we brought them home at 8 weeks old. And they have been doing really well on it.

Unfortunately the raw diet is just too expensive for us to keep up with it. So we decided to try feeding them half and half. I chose Blue Buffalo for the kibble as it has really great reviews and came highly recommended by several people.

We have been doing this for about two weeks slowly changing over one meal to kibble, I figured it would take us 3-4 weeks to switch one meal over. Two days ago our female, Callie, started to have really bad diarrhea. Like turning on a hose. Really bad. and now this morning, Mason, started to have really bad diarrhea too. The ratio is about 50/50 in one meal so far.

I don't know what to do. We can't afford the raw but it seems the kibble is giving them diarrhea. Has anyone had similar issues? Any suggestions?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 7:35am PST 
When that happened to my kibble fed dogs it was due to a bad fast food hamburger given as treats. Don't automatically blame the switch over, did you feed anything unusual? Or since these are dogs after all, did they help themselves to anything they oughtn't?

You can either fast the dogs for a day with fluids only and go to the vet and get probiotics, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic which will likely clear it up.

Or fast the dogs for a day with fluids only and start up again with super low fat bland chicken breast or 95% lean beef with rice or oatmeal or pureed potato-sweet potato-turnip in equal quantities to get the gut on the right track again. Give the bland diet in spoonfuls often the first day and as long as things are looking okay increase the amount fed and decrease the number of 'meals' a day until a normal amount is being fed in a normal number of meals and start moving to the usual diet.

Or feed a bland raw diet which is bony chicken with all the skin and fat removed, breast quarters are leaner than leg quarters. The kibble is not likely to help, too complicated and a bit higher in fat than chicken with no fat. If you choose this then try to make smaller portions more often if you can safely.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 11:57am PST 
Thanks for the tips!

They definately did not get into anything. We keep anything they shouldn't get into out of reach and we have not given them anything extra. The only change is the kibble. One thing I did think of to try is to feed the kibble and raw at different times of the day. Right now they are being fed twice a day. All raw in the morning and raw/kibble at night. hopefully if I can feed them three times a day maybe that will help...
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 11:57am PST 
Thanks for the tips!

They definately did not get into anything. We keep anything they shouldn't get into out of reach and we have not given them anything extra. The only change is the kibble. One thing I did think of to try is to feed the kibble and raw at different times of the day. Right now they are being fed twice a day. All raw in the morning and raw/kibble at night. hopefully if I can feed them three times a day maybe that will help...
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 2:04pm PST 
Seems to be a common issue with BB. I would pick a different kibble.
[notify]
Sasha

Better watch- yourself!

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 3:34pm PST 
I just switched to half and half myself due to the cost as well. Also to blue buffalo. They've been doing great on it, no loose stools, though I haven't tried any organs. However I feed alternating days, pure kibble one day pure raw the next. I know you're not supposed to feed them together because it digests differently, and in my mind just the time between a.m and p.m. feedings isn't enough to really be ready for that switch to their systems. Just my opinion, I know there's alot more experienced people on here than me. Just thought it was funny we both switched for the same reason to the same brand smile
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 3:28am PST 
I know I'm not supposed to feed them both in the same feeding, but i also know its not a good idea to just all of a sudden switch either... How long did you take to switch them over?

I cut back what I've been giving them by a quarter of a cup and it seems to have stopped the diarrhea ... Maybe I just need to transition them more slowly...

Edited by author Mon Jul 29, '13 3:33am PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 12:53pm PST 
Which BB are you feeding and how much?

Frankly, considering the cost vs. other (IMO) better brands, I would just switch to a different kibble. Maybe something with an oatmeal base like the Acana singles, might settle better with their stomachs.

As to feeding 50/50 meals, I've done it countless times and truly don't believe that it causes as many problems as people claim- THAT said, I also think you need to take it slow, and work up to your amounts. Going straight from raw to cutting 50/50 likely would cause some upset, so it probably is a better idea to separate the meals at first until you KNOW the dogs are ok eating a kibble-only meal. Then consider going back and mixing if that's what you wish to do.

I would do a pumpkin fast for the time being- nothing but canned or purred pumpkin for a day, then do what Max said and start adding in bland meats. From there, I would start isolating one meal a day to just kibble, starting with 1/4 whatever the "recommended" rations would be, then slowly work your way up from there. Might still want to throw in some pumpkin while doing this to keep the poops firm during the transition.
[notify]
Mason

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 2:06pm PST 
We are feeding the chicken formula of BB.

I started out with 1/4 cup of kibble for 2-3 days, then increased to a 1/2 cup, and stopped at 3/4 cup when they started having issues. I also went back to 1/2 cup where I knew they weren't having issues. Now they are doing fine on this ratio.

Eventually the goal will be to have them on two meals a day. One raw one kibble.
[notify]
Sasha

Better watch- yourself!

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 5:27am PST 
Honestly i didn't ease them into it at all I went cold turkey because I was having trouble with Dante eating. He's always had a pretty decent system against upsets though, unlike Sasha. I guess Mulder it depends on the dog? I feel like Sasha would be turning on a brown faucet if I tried same day lol.
But hey good luck I hope their bellies settle. I have pumpkin on stock now cuz that stuff is a miracle worker smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2