GO!

How to react to an allergy? Can it be "cured"?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Marley

Blame the deed,- NOT the Breed

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 8:08pm PST 
Hey everybody, Marley has been on raw since winter. And this is the longest she has been fed raw and hopefully many more years to come. My problem is I believe she had developed an allergy. Red paws, lower front legs look red. I know variety is the key but she has been mainly eating chicken, pork, organic turkey, grounded up liver if we are lucky, eggs and olive oils.The first two are her staple meals, I would hate to see her being allergic. What should I do? Can dogs overcome an allergen to a certain protein? I feel that I failed her if I was the reason she developed an allergy. She has been itching, no fleas. Please help. Im taking her to the vet asap.
[notify]
Marley

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 7:31am PST 
bump
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 9:25am PST 
Liver isn't a treat, it is essential to the diet. Next time you find it buy lots, chop into daily bits, freeze on a cookie sheet and pop off into a bag when frozen and give one per day. You need to find kidney, brain, sweetbread or spleen as well. Remember it is a very small amount fed, .8 ounces of liver a day for a 50 pound dog. Also remember to introduce any organ in small amounts and increase as tolerated!

The meats you are giving are good ones but where are the omega 3 fatty acids? Either feed mostly grass fed beef, bison, lamb or game or supplement with fish oil, raw/canned fatty fish like sardine/salmon/mackerel. Overloading on omega 6 rich poultry and pork might make her itchy.

If you are just using those meats your dog is going to be low in zinc for sure. Max gets 10 ounces of food a day and would need 26 ounces of turkey to fill his zinc need for instance. If you could get beef, lamb or even chicken hearts in there that would help. A very small amount of oysters would fill the gap. 38 pound Max would need all of 3 ounces of canned oysters a week. Poor guy just gets a zinc supplement though.

We can hope the itchiness is due to not so great skin health and the fish oil and zinc would help but allergies are allergies. Very often itchy dogs on chicken kibble are fine on raw chicken but your dog is already on raw chicken. You could and probably should try feeding only one protein for a month along with its bone and organs to see if things improve.

Max has a cyst on top of his head. When he gets fish oil it stays small, without it grows horribly large. Omega 3 matters. He licks his feet more if he hasn't had it too.
[notify]

Marley

Barked: Tue Oct 8, '13 1:28am PST 
Hey Max took your advice and bought fish oil supplements. I dont know if it really ever was a allergic reaction, low zinc or whichever reason. But ever since I gave her some supplements and added more varieties. Marley has improved alot. I managed to get her to eat the raw liver. I had to cut it into small pieces, thawed. So now she gets to eat a variety of things supplemented with fish oil capsule and olive oil.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Oct 8, '13 10:58am PST 
Glad she is feeling better! Remember what happened this year for next year though. It could still be an allergy to some sort of plant.

Max still had a little too much wax in his ears so I am trying wild salmon oil now. That annoying cyst on top of his head is even smaller but early days on the ear wax. Am hoping salmon oil is better than mixed fish oil.
[notify]