GO!

How long to keep a puppy on chicken.

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 10:46am PST 
Jem's been getting Spring Meadow pre-made raw chicken patties for a few weeks now, I have been giving her a little bit of beef, alpaca (Jewel wouldn't eat it) and deer. But when can I start giving her more beef? I was told to feed her the chicken because it had more fat that she would need as a puppy. She's 5 months old now.
[notify]
Rundle

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 2:04pm PST 
There shouldn't be any reason you cannot be giving her more variety. Yes, chicken does have more fat but there are other fatty meats such as lamb and duck. Even some cuts of beef can be more fatty. Chicken is a good source of Ca and P for puppies but it is not the most nutritious meat and is lacking in several amino acids. Both Bosley and Rundle were started on raw food at their breeders (different breeders) and both breeders were feeding a variety of meats to the puppies. I continued the same type of feeding and I make sure that Rundle, being a puppy, gets one bone meal a day (usually chicken backs/necks) and then other proteins for the rest of his meals. So far he has had turkey, beef, bison, elk, rabbit, sardines and tripe. I also add offal and eggs a couple meals a week and veggies/fruit/yogurt mix one meal a day. I personally don't worry too much about the fat content as long as I am feeding an appropriate amount of bone for a large breed, fast growing puppy. A well balance raw diet should have sufficient fat for a growing puppy. I am more concerned that he is growing at a steady rate so I weight him every couple days and adjust his food (fat and calorie intake) so that he gains about 2-2.5 pounds a weeks. He eats around 5% of his current body weight.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 2:17pm PST 
I started Onyx on raw the day I brought him home from the breeder at 8 weeks, and I only fed one chicken meal before introducing beef. Puppies tend to adapt much more quickly than adults, since they've only been on raw for a few weeks.

Like Rundle said, if you feed a decent variety, you should get everything you need. Especially since it's pre-made, I would think the fat content wouldn't be too low. The ones I've seen often have fat added to lean meats, like pork fat added to a rabbit mix.
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 1:13pm PST 
Thanks for the advice! Spring Meadows doesn't have a huge varity, I'm hoping their line will grow, it's just chicken, turkey, beef, lamb and alpaca.

I tried to find someone with meat rabbits locally but no luck. Some hunters give me scraps and organs and I buy pork ribs as RMBs to get more varity. I find that Jem can't crunch any bones yet (except the tiniest chicken ones) as she's just teething now. I've got some stuff in my freezer that's too big for Jewel and everytime I see it I'm just like "wait till Jem gets her big girl teeth!" laugh out loud
[notify]
Mervyn

Bigger is Better

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 12:11am PST 
I don’t recommend feeding commercial raw foods. Instead, switch to a prey model raw diet. You can give her as much variety as you want. Feeding her only chicken will result in nutritional problems. Mervyn eats beef, bison, chicken, duck, fish, goat, goose, llama, pork, quail, rabbit, sheep, turkey, venison, guinea pig and mice.
[notify]