GO!

Thinking of going back to kibble:(

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 12:03pm PST 
Guest, I'm another raw feeder that doesn't think that 2 months of issues should really be attributed to detox.

Have you considered trying a prey model style diet? There are a number of threads in this forum that have a lot of start-up information.
As far as figuring out percentages, it's pretty simply once you get used to it, and this style of feeding allows you leeway in adding in and taking away food items to figure out just what your dogs are having a tough time with.

FWIW, my dog has always been a year-round shedder, and raw hasn't changed that. I find dog hair tumbleweeds in the hallway on a daily basis!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 12:17pm PST 
I'm confused as to why people think 2 months is unreasonable.

What is often told to people switching to a new food in terms of when to expect results?

6 to 8 weeks.

Raw isn't any different from that. Every dog's body is different, how they react to raw or when you will start to see reactions will vary.

If you're not happy with the diet, then switch. But eye snot and nasty coat are classic "detox" symptoms.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 12:42pm PST 
I can't speak to the whole detox issue as I've never experienced it, but as far as making your own raw diet, it likely would be quite a bit cheaper than buying premade. I know feeding premade raw would cost me a lot more than prey model does.

Like Rexy said, the percentages don't have to be exact and really aren't that difficult once you get a feel for it. Every meal doesn't have to be balanced, so yes, you could feed only chicken some days (although backs are too high in bone). Balance over time is the goal. Most people aim for the 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other secreting organ (kidney, spleen, thymus, ect.) over the course of 7-10 days. Don't worry, even us terrible-at-math blondes can do it wink

If you're considering homemade raw/prey model raw, I would highly recommend looking at Chance's Beginner's Guide to Prey Model Raw PDF. Really great source of information that should give you a much better idea what making your own raw is like.

I think it'd be worth giving it a try to see if your dogs' conditions improve before going back to kibble. It's much easier to identify problem foods/allergies when you're making the diet yourself and can introduce each new protein one at a time.
[notify]

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 2:48pm PST 
Mulder, I really don't believe that detox is a thing anymore. To me, it's a sensational term, but isn't really backed up by much.

When people say "detox", I just relate it to the body adjusting to a new diet e.g. dogs experiencing digestive issues in the first few weeks of raw. I don't believe it should take the body 2 months to adjust, and I certainly don't think things should be getting WORSE. Something isn't right here.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 4:08pm PST 
I understand detox as the body ridding itself of all the backed up gunk, toxins and poor hair and dying cells, this cleaning of the body should happen continuously when on a good diet, but eating poorly day in and day out will prevent the body from doing it's best at that. so gunk and stuff backs up. It may not have scientific evidence, but it makes sense to me. I don't think of the dogs has becoming 'worse', I just think that their bodies were holding onto all this toxins and too busy dealing with more coming in to expel them on a regular basis. without new toxins coming in, the body can finally concentrate on expelling them.

homemade raw can be hard to get ur head around when you first start. but we are here to help. all you need to know is your dogs weight, and we can help you figure out exactly how much bone and meat and organ he needs. however it is still a lot of work.
chicken backs are not balanced, but since balancing is not important when you first start to switch them over. I would try feeding the chicken backs for a couple weeks, and see if the dogs are digesting them well, then once they seem to do good on the plain raw chicken backs, you can try the premade raw again, just a little at first.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 12:55am PST 
Feeding chicken backs exclusively for a couple of weeks is not a good idea. The dog will be constipated in no time, and probably barfing up bone fragments as well. The bone content is just too much.

If you want to switch back to chicken a few weeks, guest, buy whole roasters and cut them up into pieces. You could even try turkey. But these bones must be padded by meat!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2