GO!

Thinking of going back to kibble:(

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 7:23am PST 
My two Jack Russell mixes have been on raw for 2 months now. Before that they were on Taste of The Wild Pacific Stream. The raw I use is a premix one from Big Country Raw. They have a variety of protein sources and are mixed with bones, organs, kelp, kale and carrot. I also give them herring oil, coconut oil and a multi vitamin digestive aid for dogs.

Since going raw their shedding is insane and getting worse. They have guck in their eyes which they didn't have on kibble. I put them on raw because it seemed the healthiest diet out there but I feel like they're actually less healthy then before!! I had high hopes for my one dog with recurring anal gland problems but that has also been worse since going raw.

Am I crazy to give up? There aren't many raw brands that I can afford so changing brands might not be an option. Am I missing something in their diet? Any advice would be so appreciated!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 7:37am PST 
Again, sounds like detox.

The "detox" dogs on raw go through is actually an entire process, and isn't something that happens over night. It can take weeks, sometimes months, for the body to correct itself into the state it needs to be in from the raw.

Blowing all of the coat, for instance, is a sign all of the dead or dying hair that had collected while eating kibble is being purged from the body, so that the new, better quality hairs can come in. Your dog's existing coat can't magically become softer or smoother because you go on raw... they have to LOOSE all that old hair first to make way for the new. And depending on the type of dog/breed, loosing all of that coat may not be a singular event- some dogs blow coat quickly, some shed it out over a period of time. Being as how they are terrier mixes and not, lets say, a Husky... likely is going to take a little longer.

The gunk is also something of a "purge", the body ridding itself of old impurities.

The diet likely has nothing to do with the anal gland issue, unless you are feeding a woefully inadequate amount of bones and/or fiber. You can supplement additional of either if you like, but gland issues, at least in my very humble opinion, are largely genetic and can only be managed so much through diet.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 7:48am PST 
Personally, I don't think heavy "detox" (or reactions of the body to a new diet) can continue for as long as 2 months. I just don't think your dogs are doing as well on the commercial raw diet you chose.

Not all brands/lines work for all dogs. I had my dogs on dry Acana for a while and when the price when up, my neighbor recommended Nature's Variety Instinct. We tried this food for almost 2 months, and both of my dogs had huge poops equivalent to mud. My neighbor's dogs do very well on the diet, but my dogs cannot handle it.

If you're still interested, you could always try a different brand of raw, or make the diet yourself. This isn't the first time on this forum that someone has claimed that commercial raw just wasn't working for their dogs.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 8:07am PST 
I'd be doing a bit of ingredient reading. What was in the kibble that was fine? What are you feeding that is different? Feed one grind for a couple weeks and see how the dogs do. Switch to a different one. You may find that one of the grinds you bought bothers the dogs a lot. Premade stuff severely limits how much work you can do to figure out what exactly is the problem though. Also check each supplement fed by leaving one out for a while to see if things change.

Max has a very bad reaction to sardines of all things and as he ate them only a couple times a week I finally figured it out. Only when I limited a grainy treat to once a month agility trials did I notice grains bothered him. Well, the gigantic eye goober after a large slice of toasted bread went missing was the final clue! I added then left out a mineral supplement and figured out Max is better off with a bit as his raw diet is a bit low in manganese, magnesium and zinc.

I never could blame food for poor sheddng. Dehydration and too much light and stress affected Sassy's shed out and Max just sheds year round no matter what is going on. At least Max's shed hair is shiny and doesn't float around in the air so bad now. It did take a couple months to start to get shiny. Some report shiny fur in a week, no such luck here.

Sassy's anal sac issues were nearly resolved by a diet change but it took 6 months for it to happen. I think her problem was due to some sort of allergy to something that is just in kibble but not freshly cooked chicken and rice. Again, if your dogs are reacting to any ingredient in that premade stuff it is going to be difficult to figure it out.

Premade raw is better than kibble by a long shot but you are still feeding species inappropriate foods. Coconut oil and veggies may not be helping your dogs' diet as much as you think they are. Ground meat is more apt to be contaminated by bacteria and nutrients degraded by their actions. A study on cats fed ground whole rabbit had to be terminated as some cats became seriously ill for instance. You aren't giving the dogs a chance to really eat, ground stuff goes down as mindlessly as kibble.

Edited by author Sun Jun 23, '13 8:17am PST

[notify]

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 6:05pm PST 
Maxwell---they do eat raw meaty bones on occasion as well as knaw on plenty of recreational bones so I'm guessing they aren't worried about their mindless ground foodwink
[notify]
Egypt

Can I play with- the ratz?

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 7:15pm PST 
I'd eliminate the oils n vitamins for a bit and see if your problems go away. Also, how about trying your own raw diet? I've never tried the pre-made mixes. My dawg thrives on whole pieces of chicken, beef, organ meats and fish oil. I hope raw works for you. I think your dawgs are much better for it!
good luck!
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 7:34am PST 
I wouldn't give up just yet. I'd try to figure out what's really going on. Look at the ingredients of the food. Maybe it was a coincidence that your dogs blow their winter coats same time you started raw? Also, detox, my dog shed a lot when I first started too. Gunk in the eyes? are you sure there isn't extra dust or perfumes in the house? allergies?
Honestly, my dog as anal glad issues, they just don't empty properly, so they fill up and I have to do them. going to raw didn't change it. I think it's just her anatomy.

lay off the extra stuff for now, and just feed the raw for now? when you start homemade raw, you would just start with plain chicken, to help ease their systems into it. Maybe feed your dogs bone-in chicken for a week and see if they adjust to it? then feed the premade once you know they are good at digesting raw?
[notify]
Topanga

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 4:14pm PST 
Dont give up! Maybe you should try a homemade raw diet.(Its actually quite easy and less expensive then commercially made raw) Even if you choose not to, please please do not go back to kibble!
[notify]
Topanga

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 4:14pm PST 
Dont give up! Maybe you should try a homemade raw diet.(Its actually quite easy and less expensive then commercially made raw) Even if you choose not to, please please do not go back to kibble!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 11:39am PST 
I'm not great with math, so think the percentage of organ, bone and meat would be hard to figure out...plus I'm blondewink So might find the homemade raw difficult! Like is it a balanced meal to throw them a chicken back? Because they are so cheap at my grocery store!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2