GO!

Will one bone a week keep her teeth clean?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 7:38am PST 
maybe 2 bones a week?

I am getting tired of cutting up meat. and my dog is small enough that nature's variety cost less than a dollar a day to feed! Also, because I'm moving to a place where the electric bill needs to be as low as possible, so I want to avoid having to plug in my mini freezer (used for storing meat).

I think the best bone for cleaning her teeth would be pork ribs, but I would love to hear any other suggestions. Cookie is 8.5 lbs and has a long snout (half weenie dog)

I just want her teeth to be clean. If a couple bones a week won't do it, then maybe I will just brush her teeth.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 7:47am PST 
Yes. A good RMB each week will keep your dog's teeth pretty darned clean. Just make sure it's something that takes her time to eat, not something she can crunch twice and swallow.

I usually recommend something with pig's skin, but since your pup is so small then a pork rib would be fine. Anything partially frozen is a good idea as well.

If you do Nature's Variety, test it out with a small bag to start. My dogs are actually going on raw from Nature's Variety Instinct (chicken) and their stool was just awful on that food.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 7:48am PST 
It totally depends on your dog and the cut they are eating. Some dogs' teeth stay cleaner than others more easily. Kolbe's for example I really need to keep on top of because they get gunked up really, really fast -- 2 bones a week do it for her but it needs to be something like pig's feet, pork necks, stuff like that -- a chicken quarter wouldn't do squat. Guster on the other hand is slightly more genetically blessed and it's a lot easier to keep his teeth clean. All you can really do is give it a try and see how it goes.
[notify]

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 4:10pm PST 
thanks you guys! those are great replies,

I totally forgot about feeding frozen/partialy frozen, I will def do that for the teeth cleaning meals cause it's 100 degrees here anyway and that will def slow her down when eating the rmb.

that's interesting you mention their poop on NV because I actually have a bag in the freezer I have fed it every now and then when i didn't have anything else. and her first poop on it was terrible and afterwards they always seemed not as desirable as when she was on plain meat and bones.
but like I said, I'm pressed for time and space, I'm going to be sharing a house with 3 other girls and I'm getting tired of cutting up gross meat. I think I need a break.

but thank you both for acknowledging that a bone a week will do the job.

pork ribs are the only thing I can think of right now, because that's what she's currently eating. She strips the meat off the bone as opposed to just crunching through the meat covered bone. I think that process cleans her teeth the best?
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 6:31pm PST 
I just realized that NV also has raw lines, so that's probably what you were talking about silenced. I was feeding the Instinct kibble, so that may be a different situation.
[notify]
Sausage

feed me

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 3:19pm PST 
Idk if you have them where you live, but here they sell gigantic bags of raw, unseasoned chicken parts for fairly cheap, so I give my berner a 3-part wing or a whole leg every week or so. She gets gross teeth easily but the weekly chicken gnawing helps a lot. Mid-joint wings would probably be more your size though, lol
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 5:03pm PST 
I do two RMB's a week for Kitsune. Plus I still brush his teeth a couple of times a week too. One RMB a week probably wouldn't cut it for him, but like Kolbe's human mentioned I think it depends on the dog and what they are eating. For whatever reason, Kitsune's teeth seem to get build up on them pretty quickly if I don't stay on top of it.

You might need to play around a bit with how often and what bones you use. Good luck! smile
[notify]