GO!

Chlorine in grocery store chicken

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sophie

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 4:30am PST 
Does this concern anyone and if so how do you deal with it? Chicken is allowed to contain up to 12% retained water and they say that it is safe for humans because all the chlorine cooks out of it but is there any effect on dogs because they are eating it raw? The chicken I purchase is antibiotic free and only contains 4% retained water but that is still more chlorine than I feel comfortable with. Not sure if I am just being paranoid or not. I am stuck feeding chicken for about the next 6 months until I can purchase some rabbits and start breeding them, however I still want to use chicken as a protein source just not a staple.

I thought about soaking it in water and changing the water and soaking again but I wasn't sure if that would flush some of it out or not. Or if the amount of soaking and changing needed would be insane. Mind you it isn't 4% retained chlorine however I don't know as I feel very comfortable feeding my dog something that discolors and eats holes in fabrics.....
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 7:04am PST 
It isn't 4% chlorine, it is 4% water that has been treated with chlorine as the point is to rinse the chicken with water that can kill bacteria. Rinse it off, it is fine. If it really bothers you then go to the pet store and find a water treatment that removes chlorine and chloramine for aquariums and briefly soak the chicken in water treated with it. I use SAFE which is a dry powder in my 180 gallon aquarium with 75% of the water replaced 2x a week and Prime is the liquid version.

Watch out for enhanced chicken that has added sodium however, that will mess with the dogs guts as they need much less sodium than humans do.
[notify]
Sophie

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 8:01am PST 
If it was only being rinsed with chlorine i wouldnt be nearly that concerned. Until i started working at a chicken plant and realized just how much chlorine is used and that the chicken is soaked in clorine water for over two hours, i think there is a lot more chlorine in the chicken than most people realize. Honestly most people dont even realize that the same stuff they use to bleach their white clothes is dumped on the chicken they eat.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 11:40am PST 
Yuck! Thanks for information.
[notify]
Keira

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 2:15pm PST 
My dog only gets chicken 2-3 times a week so it's not a concern for me. The way I see it grocery store chicken is still better than kibble. Are you planning on feeding rabbits as a staple? They are a lean meat and it isn't recommended to feed rabbit as a staple. I probably wouldn't feed it more than a couple times a week.
[notify]
Sophie

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 5:33pm PST 
I intend on doing rabbit, chicken and fish as my primary meats with pork, beef and goat thrown in when its on sale. Also doing a good bit of venison this winter once I can get another deer.

I have never looked up specific fat percentages so I could be totally off base with this and I intend on researching it further to make sure I'm covering everything. With that being said, wolves eat game animals which are leaner than the average domestic animal we eat and everyone talks about how good deer is because its the closest to the natural prey item. So I would make the assumption that even though rabbit is leaner chicken it would actually be healthier than chicken due to the fact that it is closer to a dogs natural prey. I do intend on working out a system so that my rabbits are pastured as much of the year as possible and I'm hoping that my grow outs can be completed pastured. The dogs probably won't be eating rabbit more than 3 or so times a week and probably be getting fish about once a week so that leaves chicken a couple times a week with some pork and beef thrown in to mix it up, I don't feel like that is over feeding any protein and its more variety than the 3 protein minimum so I'm pretty happy with it. Like I said with the chicken vs rabbit thing, I could be completely wrong about that so if you have done the research then let me know as I would love to save myself some time lol, if not I definitely plan to do some research shortly.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 11:02pm PST 
Actually a lot of game is pretty fatty.. The lean meat isn't, but people don't eat the other parts anyways. But the skin is thick with fat, thats how they stay warm when its freezing! lol. Same with rabbits, they get pretty fatty too, especially if you're raising them in a hutch.

Dogs get all of their energy from fat, its really hard to break down protein.
Nare gets 2-3 whole rabbits a week, he does great on them with beef on the side.

Edited by author Sat Jun 15, '13 11:03pm PST

[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 4:16pm PST 
gross, maybe at walmart. don't ever buy meat from walmart silenced
[notify]
Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 7:44am PST 
Maybe try and find a chicken breeder where you can buy organic chicken? That is really disgusting silenced. Yuk. I don't think that it would be a huge problem, though, as long as you rinse the chicken. My dog drank some pool water (which is bad for them) yesterday and she hasn't showed any problems.
wave
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 7:29pm PST 
Hm, didn't know about the chlorine thing. Chicken might as well be a staple meat at my house.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2