GO!

New puppy feeding tips

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Sophie

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 2:53am PST 
Hello! I am getting a new akita puppy in about 4 weeks (he is 4 weeks now) and Im trying to figure out what to start stocking up on. I feed my current dog chicken as staple however both dogs will be switching to rabbit as their staple once I can get my rabbit cages ready and get my rabbits breeding. I feed mostly leg quarters currently as that seems to be the best meat to bone ratio for her but I am wondering what to start the puppy on. He will be eating puppy chow at the breeder and then I will switching right away to prey model raw. I know people say wings are a good choice for puppies as the bones are soft but I feel like with an akita puppy he might not learn to chew well with something that small. I was sure if the thigh bone in the leg quarter would be a bit too much for his puppy teeth though. I want to start feeding more fish as one of my other proteins but I'm having a hard time getting Sophie to understand that a whole fish is in fact dinner. She will eat fish fillets but she just plays with the whole fish, any suggestions?
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 6:05am PST 
I started Hank at 10 weeks with chicken breast and wings then moved up to legs. After about two weeks I added beef, then moved onto pork then finally organs (liver and kidney).

You need to add some red meat into your dogs diet as chicken alone is not meeting it's nutrition requirements. I feed Hank mostly beef and pork along with some chicken legs and chicken gizzards/hearts. He gets kidney on Mondays and liver on Thursday and bone every other day.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 7:11am PST 
Try chicken breast for your new puppy or offer the whole leg quarter. Don't be too concerned with him eating all the bone. We offer all that bone to start out to firm the stool and it isn't needed for nutrition.

Agree with Hank, chicken alone isn't a good diet. It is far too high in bone and very low in several important nutrients. If you could get chicken hearts and gizzards and feed twice as much of them as bony chicken and liver you would be doing better. Can you get beef heart? Lots of dogs do fine with bony chicken, beef heart and a couple sorts of liver and kidneys.

I wouldn't want to raise a pup on just chicken with rabbit coming in the future maybe, do find a way to get red meat and a variety of organs into his diet as quickly as his gut allows.

Hope you are planning to feed the whole rabbit too, by itself rabbit isn't much better than chicken. The whole thing, blood/guts/head/skin, is a great diet however.
[notify]

Sophie

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 8:27am PST 
I am planning on feeding the whole rabbit, less work for me as well lol. I might end up skinning it but that would be it. I know my current dog won't even attempt to eat it if I don't skin it but I am going to try to work her up to. I also do feed red meat as well but chicken is my main staple due to prices in this area. I pick up beef and pork whenever it is on sale and I fed mostly venison all winter until my supply ran out in early spring. I am hoping to get 2 or 3 deer this year so it will last longer. Both my boyfriend and I work at chicken plants so chicken is cheap for me to get in bulk especially with some of the special sales (got 40 lbs of boneless breasts for $20 a couple of weeks ago). For my organs I do mostly beef and chicken liver right now since that is about the only thing the stores in my area seem to have although I am planning on doing an order with my pet carnivore very shortly to get some good organs from them.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 11:39am PST 
Ooo, work at a chicken plant? Could you get heads, feet and more of the innards like the hearts and gizzards for cheap then? Max loves chicken heads and feet and the hearts and gizzards added to mostly chicken make a better diet than just skeletal chicken. Not a good omega 3:6 ratio but at least iron and zinc are provided in more adequate amounts.

I open up the rabbit and Max eats them from the inside down to the skin. I hope he is hungry enough to eat some of the skin too so it isn't wasted but he doesn't usually.
[notify]