GO!

raw feeding for kittens...?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3  
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 9:32pm PST 
BUMP?

Once again, on Catster, they're saying gizzards are a good source of taurine. If this is true, then I have no worries. Gizzards are pretty easy to get. Hearts are pretty hard to get. I was only able to feed one once, two or three years ago.

The kittens are currently on wet food, and I'm told they won't eat anything else. I was planning to do a gradually switch, anyway. Take a little of their food home, mix it with our food, put less and less of their food in with each meal, etc.

Do you think ground beef will be a good meat to start on? Just thinking it might be similar to what they're used to eating at the moment. And then introduce chicken thighs?
I'm also going to introduce kibble (I have Wellness Kitten), because she's going to need to be fed that when I have to leave her with a friend of our's while I'm on vacation later on this summer. Plus I'm still thinking I might go with partial raw for a bit, especially if I don't have organ sources totally sorted out before then. Because that is still somewhat of a problem. (I DID find what looks like some kidney from months ago in my freezer this evening, though.)

Should be getting the kitten in a little over a week from now. Excitement.happy dance I'm pretty sure we've decided which one to get now.

Edited by author Fri Jun 7, '13 9:33pm PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 11:20pm PST 
I'm not really sure myself about gizzards and taurine, but there are some very knowledgeable raw feeders on Catster, so I'd be inclined to take their word.

I don't see a problem with trying ground beef as your first meat. The stronger smell/flavor might be appealing. You may have to put some into the kitten's mouth to convince him it's food, but I know with mine once he tried meat I didn't have a problem getting him to eat it. I wouldn't foresee you having too difficult of a time switching a young kitten.

I'm jealous. I really want a kitten kitty
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 10:41pm PST 
Fed some ground beef this evening. Oreo (my kitten) seemed to like it. smile

When I introduced Treader to raw, I fed one type of meat for an entire week before introducing another. They're telling me to not wait as long with a cat because I don't want them liking only one type of meat. Well, can't hurt. In a couple days, I'll try some chicken or turkey. Probably chicken because I can feed some soft bones that way...if I have any chicken right now, that is.

Also, sounds like they're telling me to avoid kibble altogether? Even brands like Wellness? I mean, obviously raw and even canned are better than kibble, even meat-based kibble. But if I'm going to do partial raw, I'll need some commercial food, and I probably can't buy canned quite as often as I'd like. I'll try to see about buying it more often, though.

Edited by author Mon Jun 17, '13 10:43pm PST

[notify]

Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 10:03am PST 
I read somewhere online that pork is bad for cats because of the fat? Is this true? That was going to be one of my sources.
[notify]
Dozer

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 10:26am PST 
Not going to lie, I think you are a little too worried about what you are feeding your kitten. I have two cats who I switched to raw at the age of 15 and they are doing fabulous with just the meat-bone-organ premade patties. I would love to transition them into more of a prey model but it takes time. You have a kitten, they will take to it much faster. I think a lot of raw feeders get caught up in how much calcium, or taurine or phosphorous they are feeding their animals and then try to supplement what they feel may be lacking in a "complete" or "balanced" meal. When feeding raw, the goal is to get as close to a natural prey as they would get in the wild, the truth is that animals don't regulate what they eat like we try to. If you want them to be as healthy as they can be, get them their shots, feed them whole prey and leave lots of fresh water out. If you want to do the frankenprey, you need to remember that their diet doesn't need to be "complete" each meal, it's more of a throughout the week sort of thing... go to www.thecatsite.com and look at their raw feeding forum, I have posted a few things and got some great answers.
[notify]
Dozer

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 10:38am PST 
Both cats and dogs can b considered like scavengers sometimes, living off of a previously killed animal for days, if that is okay for them, I'm sure you will be just fine!Don't stress out! It's not as complex as people like to make it!!
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 9:35pm PST 
Well, some days I've stressed out over a lot of things for this kitten. smile I'm worried I didn't kitten-proof my house enough, and all that jazz...which, it is likely I didn't...because it it very cluttered...and there are wires and stuff that simply can't be covered up because this house is weird like that. So the first day I was stressing myself out trying to watch her every second.
Anyways....

Fed some more ground beef this morning, then a single sardine this afternoon. I won't feed Oreo sardines too often, but wanted to see how she likes them. The rest of today's meals were canned.

Edited by author Tue Jun 18, '13 9:36pm PST

[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 8:34pm PST 
Fed Oreo some turkey tonight.

The Dogster forum helper thingy for images doesn't seem to work anymore, but I'll try sharing the URL to a couple pictures:
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a593/questdrivencolli e/011_zps177726ad.jpg
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a593/ques tdrivencollie/004_zpsedf04ec4.jpg
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3