GO!

raw feeding for kittens...?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 5:52pm PST 
I know this is Dogster, but the Catster raw forum is less active.

So, in about a month, I'll probably be getting a kitten, and just want to inform myself first.
I don't want to explain my concerns all over again, so here's the URL to the thread:
http://www.catster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/774463

I'm probably going to go with partial raw. And what I didn't mention in the thread is that I went to the petstore today to compare prices on things I'll be needing, and they had this awesome deal for half off on a small bag of Wellness for kittens...got three of them. I guess if I change my mind on what to feed, I could always return them.

So yeah, I see the kittens weekly (at the least), am friends with the family that's raising the litter, know which one I want...I'm even taking pictures of them.
The only real uncertainty factor is my mom. laugh out loud But since she agreed to me going to the store and looking at stuff, and even thought we should snatch up that deal on cat food, I guess the chances aren't too bad.

Edited by author Fri May 17, '13 5:53pm PST

[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Sat May 18, '13 10:34pm PST 
Cats do well on whole prey. And because cats are smaller than most dogs they can live off of rodents, small birds, and fish. No need to calculate percentages of organs and bones and such if you feed whole prey. Here are examples readily available at reptile stores or the freezer at the reptile section of a pet store (snakes and giant lizards are fed the same things):

- mice
- rats
- hamsters
- gerbils
- guinea pigs
- rabbits
- quail
- chicks
- goldfish (or any orher appropriately sized feeder fish at the pet fish section of a pet store)

All of these can be fed to your cat whole and would contain all the nutrients in the proper proportion.

Hope this helps.

Edited by author Sat May 18, '13 10:36pm PST

[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 3:19pm PST 
We fed our cats raw from the start. We started with chicken wings, cornish game hens and other tiny meat. We also had a snake so we bred Rats and Mice. We would feed them to the snake and cats. It would work perfect. Cats do great on RAW!
[notify]

Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 7:36pm PST 
When I go back to the pet store to buy more stuff we'll need, I'll ask them if there are any other options besides feeder mice, or if they know where I can get more options.
I'm just worried about giving too much or too little calcium, or anything that would hurt a kitten's growth.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 12:58pm PST 
So, a bit off-topic, but I went ahead and made a profile for the kitten. Even though I won't have it until somewhere around June 9 or 16th, and even though I'm still trying to decide between two of them...the profile has pictures of both of them, including their littermates.

http://www.catster.com/cats/1296601

Edited by author Mon May 27, '13 12:59pm PST

[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 1:21pm PST 
Anyways, I actually found out that one of my friends has pet reptiles. A couple of them, actually. I asked her about sources for whole prey food, but she said other than mice there's hamster. Another one said large frozen rats. Doesn't sound like much variety.

Well, even if I do go full raw right away, I have use for the kibble I bought. Because I'm going on a trip this summer, and can't bring the pets with me. So I'll be leaving them with friends until I get back. (The trip isn't until late July.)

Edited by author Mon May 27, '13 1:23pm PST

[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 3:18pm PST 
Cats can eat anything a dog does, you might just need to make the pieces smaller. Chunks of beef, pork, chicken, rabbit, buffalo, etc. As far as WHOLE PREY goes mice, rats, etc are your best bet but just like dogs, "Franken-Prey" is going to be the easiest way to ensure your pets gets the most variety and proper nutrition.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 4:23pm PST 
Any tips on getting the kitten to eat the whole prey? IDK, I get the idea cats are harder to please than dogs. I want to introduce this stuff as soon as possible because I read that a cat's lifelong tastes are developed during the age of two to three or four month. But I picture him batting it around like a toy mouse from the store or something. laugh out loud
I know when I had to raise some kittens from a stray cat a long time ago, if they didn't understand the stuff I gave them was food, I would open it's mouth and place a bit of the food in. But it was canned food. Would that still work with whole prey? Or meat cuts in general?

Edited by author Mon May 27, '13 4:24pm PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 5:20pm PST 
What I did with whole prey for my kitten was start by breaking it down. I blended a mouse with some water into a kind of soup. Dabbed a bit of that on his mouth which forced him to lick it off. As soon as he tasted it and realized it was food, he lapped the rest of it up himself. From there I just gradually made the "soup" chunkier until it was a just mouse cut in half and then a whole mouse. It's a pretty commonly used method with ferrets which can also be very difficult to switch, especially as adults.
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 9:30pm PST 
I'm glad Treader inquired about raw for kittens. I was also pondering a raw diet for the kitten I'm adopting soon (June 1st). I found this helpful smile. I'm still on the threshold about raw, so I've been collecting notes and data on raw feeding for both Firefly and the new kitten. So I'm glad this can be duly noted as well in my "Raw Diet Portfolio". I'm doing a ton of thought and research, because I want to do raw, but...

I'm nervous!red face

Anyway, I found this thread to be helpful, since I had some of the same questions as Treader.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3