GO!

Dog with a weight problem

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Teddy

Mummys Boy

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 3:20am PST 
Hello smile

I have a 10 month old Akita that needs to gain some weight. The vet has checked him over and he is perfectly healthy, he just has no appetite... he will go days without eating. I am looking into trying him on a raw food diet ... i have no knowledge of feeding this way .. so basically looking for any help and info smile

Thanks smile
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 9:11am PST 
Hi Teddy! Welcome!
I bumped up some really good things for you to read through. If you have any questions please feel free to ask! blue dog
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 6:49pm PST 
The "So You're Interested In Feeding Raw..." topic is the place to start.

What has the vet checked? Bowel issues can't be diagnosed with a general physical exam, which is what most people mean when they say a vet has "checked him over." I'd run a full blood panel and go from there. An abdominal ultrasound may be worthwhile. Going days without eating is not normal or healthy. There is something going on.

The flip side of that is when you get into specific GI issues, oftentimes the only way to diagnose is to do a biopsy. Biopsies are invasive, expensive and dangerous - especially for Akitas, who tend to have clotting issues - and the diagnosis (if you get one) usually means management with diet and supplements. You can do that perfectly well without a diagnosis. But I would want to make sure there is nothing weird on bloodwork before assuming this is a GI issue.

Does he have other symptoms? Diarrhea or constipation? Vomiting? Restlessness or anxiety?
[notify]