GO!

Uh...what did I buy?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 2:10pm PST 
laugh out loud Okay, weird question, but I found what I thought *might* be green tripe today. Packaging says ‘Beef Tripas (Fresh.)” It definitely doesn’t look like the bleached tripe I normally see, and since it was only $1.99 a pound I bought a package. I figured I should probably double check what I’ve got before I feed it to the dogs. So…

What is this- pic
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 3:35pm PST 
Kinda reminds me of what the groundhog's intestines looked like when I tossed them in a bucket of water to dispose of.. laugh out loud

I peaked at beef tripe at grocery stores and seen bleached kind and another kind that is more pinkish then white. I think that is different from bleached maybe it is just boiled or something? I dunno.

Green tripe I seen are more different.. pictures of it at least.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 6:40pm PST 
Tripas are intestines, cleaned and bleached. They still have a little of the 'wonderful' smell of the contents and Max thought they were an excellent idea. Not me, they are high in connective tissue with not much in the way of vitamins and minerals. One would think they would get slurped up like spaghetti but Max chewed them nicely.
[notify]

Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 8:46am PST 
Ah bummer, so they are bleached. Oh well, at least I’m only out $3 on them.

Thanks guys!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 1:23pm PST 
Feed them, they are fine if you find a good deal. Just don't count on them to be an important part of the diet.

If you are feeling creative you could make raw sausages. Stuff with bits of organ and ground meat, maybe chicken feet or necks and freeze then serve partly thawed. Be a weird food puzzle.
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 6:01pm PST 
Hey Maxwell, thanks for the idea. A lot of the beef I buy is ground, I usually portion it out into patties and feed partially frozen, so that’ll be a new way to feed it.

But oh man, I didn’t expect it to smell as strongly as it did! I haven’t offered any to the dogs yet, but I’m sure they’ll love it based on the smell alone.

Edited by author Mon May 13, '13 6:02pm PST

[notify]