GO!

Ticks. natural remedies?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Terry

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 3:20pm PST 
I decided to post this here because i know some people who say that raw feeding gets ticks/fleas away,and as raw feeders,one searches for more natural ways. So:

Terry has had ticks since the day i got him,he came infested with them. I have tried bathing him,sprays and all,but i don't want to keep giving him chemicals.

So i was thinking on buying some DE to sprinkle around the house and garden,not sure on using it on him.*yes it will be food grade*

I have heard about natural treatments too,like oils and others. can you guys recommend things that you have tried? I want to make sure it actually works since i would be getting it online and don't want to end up wasting money .

I am fed up with him scratching and always being uncomfy,yes he has less and i know with time they should disappear,but i have had ticks infestations in the past and they are gone with two or three days.

Help?!
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 5:49pm PST 
ticks or fleas?

For Tick removal,
you can use Peppermint, Thyme, Oregano, Cinnamon essential oils placed directly on the ticks. When tick releases, flick off with a q-tip.
Prevention with a spray of "TerraShield" Essential Oil mixed water. Shake well to mix.

For Flea removal,
you can make a spray of Eucalyptus and water. this also works to prevent.

NOTE! Use only certified therapeutic grade Essential Oils to ensure quality.
[notify]
Tampopo

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 7:59pm PST 
i heard neem oil works too. anyone has tried or is using it? i'm thinking of using it to prevent fleas/ticks and mosquitos.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 7:35am PST 
I'm not sure of natural remedy to 100% repel ticks and fleas..

I do put essential oil spray on Saya's bandana.

I read Apple cider vinegar with the mother stuff in it supposed to help repel things, garlic supposedly does too, but I dunno.

I had stop using advantix 2 as Saya was loosing outer coat. Vet said to use vectra 3d which is kinda the same as advantix so I didn't get it..

I'm too worried that instead of loosing outer coat she'll get rash or something.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 7:50am PST 
Just wanted to say that there's a huge difference when looking for remedies to a flea infestation vs just prevention. I tried every natural remedy in the book when my dogs had a full blown infestation, and nothing would work. We ended up having to use a dose of Frontline to kill all the little buggers, and THEN use natural prevention.

As with natural prevention, I've had luck feeding raw garlic and using a mixture of peppermint/clove oil. I find that the neem oil helps to ease the symptoms of fleas, but isn't as strong as some people say.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 2:42pm PST 
When it comes to natural repellents, it is absolutely VITAL to research EVERYTHING you use.

You need to know exactly
1) how it works
2) how to use it correctly
3) the potential side-effects.

NATURAL =/= SAFE!!!! That can not be emphasized enough! Especially if you have other animals or birds in the house.

1) The vast majority of natural repellents are just that - repellents. They are aversive to insects, decreasing the likelihood that pests will chose your dog as a host. They do nothing to inhibit pests from reproducing, attaching to your dog and they do not kill pests.

To date, the only natural pest controls that DO kill that I have found are cedar oil and food grade diatomacious earth.

2) No remedy is effective if it's not used correctly. Length and frequency of application, how apply - for instance, many essential oils should not be in direct contact with skin, or in an area a pet could lick them off. Most need to be refreshed daily.

3) Allergic reactions, respiratory distress, organ failure... All potential side effects of certain natural remedies.
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 7:26am PST 
I have used hemp oil (for dogs) and find it keeps the ticks at bay. It is also good for their skin. I put in their food starting a month before tick season. The only problem I have found is that the ticks still go on the dogs but do not attach/feed and the ticks end up going on me. Yuckys!
[notify]
Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 7:41pm PST 
I use rose geranium essential oil. A drop or two on Ava's collar every week and we have absolutely no ticks way to go It definitely works because, before I dug out the oils this spring, she could pick up 4-5 ticks from a quick walk. Now I don't find any on her.
[notify]