GO!

Bone pieces not digesting, why??

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 7:41am PST 
Hello Dogster :c Yesterday evening I fed my dog a chicken drum for the first time. I even got it on youtube.

She has been on raw diet for over a year now, she eats beef and pork bones just fine and had eaten chicken necks and wings in the past.

The chicken drum was more than her usual meal, about twice as much.

In the middle of the night she started to swallow and lick repeatedly, even started licking the floor frantically at one point but I made her stop. It kept me up most of the night, she was still doing it in the morning.
So long story short, I made her throw up.
She threw up a lot of grass, some hair, and about 3 or 4 small pieces of the chicken bone she carefully chewed up yesterday evening. (I poked the throw up with a butter knife! The pieces were hard and white).

Could these have been very hard cartilidge that wasn't digesting? or can she not digest so much bone at once? Is this the reason why she was swallowing and licking so much? (she seems to have stopped doing that now).

thanks for any help!
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 10:25am PST 
yes, chicken drumsticks have cartaedge on teh ends that may make it hard for a little dog to digest and pass. Jake used to poop them out the same way as they went in. They looked exactly teh same. Or she could have been a little constipated from too much bone.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 3:58pm PST 
okay, so cartilidge like that is not digested. Good thing the chicken drum was a one time meal, I cooked the rest for us to eat.

I'm still a little confused because the pieces she threw up seemed small enough that she could have passed them.. but then again, maybe not. I don't know how small her insides are.

and I wonder whether the swallowing and licking was caused by those pieces stuck in her stomach or if she had a grass or hair caught in her throat.
[notify]