GO!

What are you all doing to actually save any money on raw? Cause it costs me more

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 12:23am PST 
Don't feel bad, when I did the math it would cost me a fortune to feed raw, about $200 a week. I came up with a decent compromise. I feed a decent quality kibble supplemented with fresh veggies and various kitchen scraps and twice a week they get a quarter chicken each. I can buy whole chickens for about $7 so it works for me. Plus if I can find free meat I take it and they get that. Shadow is allergic to beef, elk and who knows what else so I tend to stick to bird and pork for her.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 1:33pm PST 
Yeah, I couldn't afford $50/week either... my budget is actually $50/month.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 2:31pm PST 
It makes sense to try. Many dogs do just fine on mixed diets of raw, canned, cooked, kibble in any combination. Do feed less bone than you want to and introduce new stuff in small amounts and increase gradually.
[notify]

Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 8:25pm PST 
yeah! scored some chicken leg quarters for 70 cents a pound! that's amazing for my area. way to go
[notify]
Neeko

I listen...when- I want to

Barked: Sat May 4, '13 7:25pm PST 
I was trying to post a link but blogspot (dot) com is not a G rated word.

Anyways, I belong to a coOp, have a farmer/supplier and shop at both traditional and ethnic groceries. I spend on average $200 a month to feed three large dogs. I feed mostly red meat, with the majority of that being heart from various species. I am currently feeding lots of venison.

http://myrottendogs.blogspot. com/search/label/score

I also have generous friends, coworkers and complete strangers. I guess if one wants to see, copy, paste, remove spaces.
[notify]
Hula

This is MY- stuffie!

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 6:06am PST 
Do you have any international, asian, hispanic grocers in your area? I went to our local international market yesterday and got 3 porks hearts - $5, hunk of beef heart - $5, 6 pork kidneys - .70, beef sweetbreads (thymus) - $3, and a 3lb pork shoulder - $6. That is all for Hula who only gets about 10 oz. a day. Should last me a month. Now Roxy just started raw and is currently eating chicken quarters. Got a 10lb bag of quarters for $6 at Walmart - and they aren't enhanced which can be hard to find. I also get bulk turkey from a local poultry farm for $1 a lb. Check with your local meat processors too.
[notify]
Hula

This is MY- stuffie!

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 7:19am PST 
Do you have any international, asian, hispanic grocers in your area? I went to our local international market yesterday and got 3 porks hearts - $5, hunk of beef heart - $5, 6 pork kidneys - .70, beef sweetbreads (thymus) - $3, and a 3lb pork shoulder - $6. That is all for Hula who only gets about 10 oz. a day. Should last me a month. Now Roxy just started raw and is currently eating chicken quarters. Got a 10lb bag of quarters for $6 at Walmart - and they aren't enhanced which can be hard to find. I also get bulk turkey from a local poultry farm for $1 a lb. Check with your local meat processors too.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 12:58pm PST 
Thanks all for the great advice. We do have some Asian markets I can check out and find some things. My only concern is the quality of meat?

I'm starting off with RMBs. Chaplin just got his first one a few minutes ago. I think it may have a bit more meat on it that some but then again I've never bought anything with bone in. At first he was like "What on earth do I do with this?" I had to reassure him he can eat it a couple times. Now he's slowly picking at it trying to figure out what's up, haha.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 2:36pm PST 
The ethnic markets around here all get USDA meat, same as restaurants, grocery stores, etc.

The Japanese store I go to for organs and cheap meats gets much of their stuff from local farms.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3