GO!

What are you all doing to actually save any money on raw? Cause it costs me more

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 7:35pm PST 
I can get about 79 ETA to correct meals to days out of Chaplin's Merrick food for $53.

Raw is sooooo much more expensive. I don't even bother to add it all up but with rough estimate just a week's worth is like 1/3 of that even just feeding Chicken for his size... even if I feed chicken that's like 1.50 per pound...

I just don't get how I'm getting such a huge price, especially considering how all you say it's been cheaper than kibble... I just don't get it

shrug

Edited by author Mon Apr 29, '13 9:35pm PST

[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 9:14pm PST 
the price of raw depends on where you live and how you shop. For Jake and Sweetie i would spend about $100 a month for raw which included chicken, beef, organs and chews like beef feet or tendon.

Currently we're feeding 2-3 raw meals a week + I and Love and You stew + kibble. This is because of time constraints and tightening of pocket book.

The kibble i feed is $15 a bag and that's 4bags a month at $60 for just kibble.

Then i use a Dehydrated stew also made by ILY which is $20 a bag and one bag lasts about 2 weeks so that's 4 bucks so it's 100 give or take.

But then you have to include treats for the dog and that's about 16 dollars.

So for me it's simlar.

I buy my chickens, beef and lamb whatever at ethnic markets and only when it's on sale. Currently i have amonths supply of food in my freezer for sweetie and Jake of raw. it took me about a month to aquire that much food and to make 2 weeks for th of food of rthem it's about $50. But how much does Charlie weigh?

Jake is $30-32lbs I feed for 35 lbs and caroline is 42 and I feed for 50lbs.

Do you use the spreadsheet or are you just feeding gorge or free feeding?
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 9:27pm PST 
I use the spreadsheet. He is close to 55lbs but he has high energy needs so even more food is required. I mean... $53 for high quality food every two and a half months is far, far cheaper than I could do here in Chicago. I mean, maybe I could get cheaper meat if I went to china town markets but they sell a lot of animals still alive and I feel bad.

I do my best to keep him healthy. Omega 3 every day, vitamin e twice a week, glucosamine every day and some plain yogurt here and there -- he loves it.

The only thing I don't like is his breath and teeth. I may just throw in some RMB every now and again for the teeth. I know it sounds awful of me but I just don't get around to teeth brushing.

I just see a lot of people posting about saving so much money on raw and I have no clue how they do it/how it's possible.
[notify]

Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 9:44pm PST 
We spend about $20-$25 per week on Crash's food. We rarely get beef, so he's on a Turkey, Chicken, Pork, frozen sardine, Chicken liver, beef heart diet for the most part.
We occasionally get gifted hunting scraps but RAW is not cheaper for us.
However, Crash is almost 5. He has amazing teeth, a slim body, no nasty doggy breath, smooth soft fur, and has only been to the vet once in 5 years and it was not diet related. (he ripped a toenail)

No matter the cost, as long as we can afford RAW we will continue to feed RAW.

Edited by author Mon Apr 29, '13 9:45pm PST

[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 10:15pm PST 
We come out even or save a few bucks but that is because her last food was ZiwiPeak and we had to also feed her canned to get her to eat enough to maintain her body weight.

Our big savings has been in vet bills. We went from having a vet clinic that knew who we were by voice alone when we called on the phone to make yet another appointment to having a vet we see for yearly checkups and for a lump aspiration.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 12:55am PST 
They key to saving money is to only shop the sales and then pick the cheapest protein in your area i believe.

Out here in Cali the dogs main protein of choice was chicken. I only bought it when it was .< Super expensive and i'll stuff the chicken's with the ground beef and then surve for a week. So that way the dogs get a mixture and it's about $80.

This way is cheaper then dog food but at the moment I don't have the time or counter space to dedicate to hacking up and stuffing chickens for the dogs. So they're getting chicken breasts that were on sale last month for $.99 a lb that i had already put into bags with some organ and then kibble. to suppliment.

I also get smelt at a good deal 2.99 for 5lbs i think. And that is a good treat for the dogs high in omegas.

Though i also feed scraps too and other stuff if i have it and they'll eat it.

You could also try to post on freecycle if your area has one. CL i hear people sometimes get responses from. I take freezer burned meat from my neighbors and i ask around for hunting scraps and post up flyers at dressing centers in my area for people willing to donate me offal or scraps they don't want. I manage to get a lot of game scraps that way. and i live in Southern CA. big grin
[notify]
Lacey

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 6:01am PST 
I pay much more for raw than I did feeding a high-end kibble (acana). However, I know I could be doing it less expensively if I had the time to shop around town, hit sales, etc. We're fortunate we can manage the extra expense, but I'm definitely looking forward to bringing the cost down in the future. (Totally worth it, though.)
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 8:50am PST 
I feed a pre-made raw that's pretty bone heavy so I'll sometimes add in bone free meat from the butcher that was on sale or hunting scrapes, about 25%. That's how I save on pre-made raw but it's still expensive.

A friend of mine is going to get chickens next year and in return for helping her butcher them she's going to let me have wing tips, feet and organs. I hate chickens, buggers pecked me when I was a kid I can't wait to butcher them.
[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 11:45am PST 
Bulk buy.

I have been averaging 99 cents a pound.

If I buy these bulk amounts in my local meat shop, I can get the discount price as follows:
60 lbs beef hearts - 99 cents a pound
20 lbs pork shoulder - 99 cents a pound
40 lbs leg quarters - 69 cents a pound
30 lbs beef liver - $1.39 a pound
30 lbs beef kidneys - $1.39 a pound

So, for 3 dogs, it comes out the same price as Blue Buffalo Wilderness.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 12:19pm PST 
I possibly pay more, though when I was buying premium dogfood (not even sure which brand anymore) and did the math it was about equal. I am guessing that the price of premium has gone up at roughly the same rate as raw.

But the real reason I feel like I am saving money, is that now that my dogs have a really good diet, we have fewer health issues, saving money on vets bill. If you could see Savvy's coat as compared to the condition of it while she was on kibble, you would see my point.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3