GO!

Traveling

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Terry

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 4:39pm PST 
Hello..again big grin

I was talking to my mom some days ago,about going on a trip. if we go,we would leave the dogs on my grandma's place(but if i can i would take them with us)

But,just in case,i was thinking on what can i do to make it easier for her to care for them.

i was thinking on getting ground meat and along with that,some bony parts,like from chicken or turkey,and preparing that into portions for the daily meals,along with some notes and other stuffs.

If,i do take them with me,would this be a good feeding plan? since they would not be subjected to this feeding style for too long *max. a month,or 15 days*

My other...sad option,if my grandma decides to go with us,would be to leave kibble for them,as the person taking care of them would not feed them how i do.(someone who comes,feed the dogs and goes,i would't sleep well knowing they are eating unsupervised xD) and i don't have kibbles like Orijen,or Blue,only the cheap brands,the most.."expensive"being Eukanuba.

Of course if i go to the US i would try to get a good brand to bring with me,or i can get it by internet,before traveling,but that would be very expensive,as i need to use a courier and not only pay shipping and product price,but also the cost by lbs on the package here.....

What do you suggest? They are looking so good that thinking of feeding kibble*bad quality* makes me cringe.
frown
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 7:38am PST 
You can pack the food ahead, just take one afternoon and weigh out meal portions and put them in zip lock bags and even write on the bags day/time to be given. If someone is coming over to feed then leave you can always use chicken breast and ground beef then just add some bone meal to the meal portions or just grind up the bones. It would take some efforts but so worth it!
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 8:09am PST 
What about thawing? I don't thing the person would wait for that xD.*i know the usual caretaker friends that we have are busy people*

Any idea where can i get bonemeal? to grind bones i would need to get one heck of a grinding machine.
[notify]

Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 10:14am PST 
You could have them take a portioned out zip lock bag from the freezer when they leave and put it in the fridge to feed the next day. As for the bone meal try maybe a pet store or natural food market. If worse comes to worse just grind up a bunch of egg shells into a powder and mix with some of the meals.
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 5:38pm PST 
Now that you mention it,i do have ground eggshells! I some times*like once a week* add a ½ tea spoon of it to the meat. They are from my own chickens so there is nothing chemical in those.

So i could just bag some ground meat mixed with the eggshells. Any other thing you think i should add to the mixture?. Like,one meal can have an egg added,another some of this or that.
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 7:12pm PST 
Sounds good! I give Hank ground beef, ground turkey, hearts, liver, kidney etc
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 7:26pm PST 
If you could be gone anywhere from 15 days to a month, I would recommend finding another sitter than just someone that 'stops by' and doesn't stick around. Honestly, that's FAR too long to only have someone stopping by to feed them and let them out. Too many things can go wrong when they go for so long unsupervised. If your grandma can't, look into local dog sitters, and local kennels. It's simply not safe, or recommended for that long, to JUST have someone stop by daily for a feeding and a pee break. I apologize if I misunderstood that.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 7:29pm PST 
Try out any diet before somebody else is feeding the dogs. It is likely you will need to add ~25% pureed veggies to the meat, organ and eggshell to keep the poop okay. And remember, just 1/2 measuring teaspoon of the egg shell per pound of food. It seems like nothing but more is not better!
[notify]
Ninja PD- SR-1 FDCH-G- TF3

Take That!

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 1:24pm PST 
Typically if my dogs are visiting someone else or being watched by someone when i am out of town i keep them on the same diet and pre-porton out individual meals in ziplock baggies and label them if i need to give additional instructions, but that is rare. The other option is maybe get a freeze dried or premade raw for them to feed which may be easier on a transition that giving your dogs kibble while you are gone.
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 1:47pm PST 
Sadly if my grand can't take care of them that is the only option left. And the reason why i decided on ground meat as to not have the danger of them carrying the bones around or trying to eat one that they can't chew. Leaving them on a vet or other places for them to stay would be very expensive. Leaving a note with the instructions to thaw one portion on the fridge while the others are on the freezer would be a good idea,and having each dog's potion on diferent color bags it is also good.

I know for convenience kibble would be nice but i am not considering that as an option.

It is not advised to have someone only come Once to feed and then go. But sadly i don't have another option available.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2