GO!

A question...about a canned food...

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 9:47am PST 
I feed my dogs raw, but while on vacation and running around like a nut I bought a case of Merrick canned for the two little ones who sometimes get fussy. It has a reputation as a good brand. Now, one of the cans "Smothered Something" they really loved. It looked like stewed whole chicken parts. And it had bone in it. Now I had always thought that bone cooked was a total no-no.

Is there a method of cooking which renders it edible? Just wondering, really. Not planning on continuing except on some occasions.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 10:05am PST 
Possibly pressure cooked?
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 10:08am PST 
maybe. I didn't think to look on the can. I'll see if anything is online about it.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 10:55am PST 
Merrick does have a can line that has chicken wings in them forgot what they are called.. Supposedly they're ok.

I never gotten them before to try so not sure.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 11:04am PST 
I read about them and the ratings I saw only describe them as "better than average" which is not good enough. So probably won't be using them anymore no matter how they are cooked. Last night I just ground up boneless chicken and they were very happy with that. Will get some bone meal and make my own.
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 11:44am PST 
When we go away wether Hank comes with or he says with someone I just portion out the food into ziplock bags so all I have to do is dump them into his bowl.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 12:30pm PST 
That is a good idea, Hank. A little unwieldy with my four dogs, but we don't actually travel that much, so I could prepare...
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 1:17pm PST 
The canning process cooks bones in a way that they are safe to eat. I don't know the physics of it, but I've eaten plenty of canned fish myself. The bones kinda flake apart... You can tell you're eating them, but they aren't even close to traditionally cooked fish bones.
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Sat Apr 13, '13 10:29pm PST 
Yep, just like Ember said, the high pressure canning process breaks down the bone to the point that if you mush it between your fingers it, well, just mushes. The form of the bone (and the rest of it) stays in it's original shape/look, as the food goes into the can and it doesn't get mixed around. I haven't had any active part in the commercial dog food industry in a number of years, but when I did Merrick's was good stuff, and up to that point at least, I trusted them to have a quality product and to be honest it would make me sad if I found out they've gone the way of a lot of other companies.

That said, after only about a year of strictly raw feeding I tried out some canned food (a grain free beef formula from Wysong) on a trip and though the dogs didn't physically show signs of being the slightest bit "off", the resulting poos pretty much resembled the food, which is to say runny and smelly. Never tried it again, more for my sake than the dogs!
[notify]
Leo

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 8:15pm PST 
I have a couple cans of food "just in case" for Leo. My biggest problems with Canned food is quite often its lower quality meat, harsh preservatives, and BPA-lined cans. Try to shop for reputable brands. And considering there is Bone in most food, I wouldn't suggest cooking it unless advised by the manufacturer. Goodluck!

Edited by author Fri Apr 19, '13 8:16pm PST

[notify]