GO!

Vegetables?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 8:44am PST 
Do you also give your dog vegetables?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 8:53am PST 
No. Max might get a bit that fell on the floor or leftover but otherwise none. I would have to feed him huge amounts to help with the nutrients his raw diet is low in, a little manganese, magnesium, zinc and vitamin E. I am talking increasing his meals by 50% and veggies are expensive! He gets green tripe, a fish oil, vitamin E capsule and a multimineral supplement instead.
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 8:57am PST 
I was wondering if it would be okay to give him some veggies as a snack between meals?
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 10:15am PST 
They're fine as a snack/treat if your dog likes them. Obviously check to make sure the ones you're planning to feed are dog safe.

Most raw feeders here don't use vegetables as any significant part of the diet, as most people here feed prey model raw. I briefly considered adding some, but ending up deciding against it because, like Maxwell said, it would take large amounts to make any real difference. I stick to a hearty portion of green tripe once a week.
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 11:31am PST 
Yeah, I don't give it to him as part of his diet but I toss him some as a snack when I make them for my kids lunch, dinner etc....
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 12:19pm PST 
I don't include fruit/veg as a part of Farley's diet, but he loves certain fruit/veg and I have no qualms about sharing mine with him every now and then. smile
[notify]
Fox

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 1:30pm PST 
I feed a bit of veg with dinner because my dogs seem to benefit from the extra fiber. Usually about 3 unleveled tablespoons over 3/4 - 1 lb of meat, but it's not terribly important. Plus it can't hurt that a lot of veggies have proven health benefits too, although I'm sure being carnivores dogs aren't getting the same amount of benefit we are out of them.

The thing to be aware of is that dogs can only digest well cooked or pureed veggies. Whole, raw veggies come out the same way they went in. Neither way is wrong, but you have to stick to what's appropriate for your situation. I puree since I'm looking for smooth fiber. Poorly chewed chunks of raw broccoli aren't going to give me that. If I were looking to a fill a stomach while encouraging weight loss, I'd be giving whole, raw veg.

If certain health conditions are present, veggies can be your friend or worst enemy. For example, with Vance I needed a lot of extra fiber to absorb the overproduction of bile in his GI tract. But if I had fed raw greens, I would have actually contributed to bile production and made things worse. Fox tends toward allergy/inflammation issues, so if I feed a lot of high-glycemic veggies like carrots and peas, she gets worse.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 4:28pm PST 
My dogs all get lots of leftovers as part of their diet. My Shiba gets oatmeal as a regular part of his diet. Sasha LOVES strawberry tops, so I cut them a bit large and give them to her. She digests those quite well believe it or not.

I keep a large yogurt container in the freezer for fruit and veggie cuttings. Once it gets full, I dump them into the blender and pulverize them. The dogs like it and it does have some benefits, but I do not go out of my way to prepare an elaborate veggie mush for them.
Leftovers are stuck into a tupperware for later and given to the dogs as an evening snack, light meal, or used as treats.
[notify]
Ninja PD- SR-1 FDCH-G- TF3

Take That!

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 1:59pm PST 
No, i dont feed veggies. Its too much of a hassle for me to pureee them if thats the only way they can absorb them. I dont really give my dogs snacks in between meals though, although they usually have deer antlers or bully sticks to gnaw on in bwtween meals so i suppose that would be their snack.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 6:42pm PST 
Fox wrote, "The thing to be aware of is that dogs can only digest well cooked or pureed veggies. Whole, raw veggies come out the same way they went in."

That was always my understanding. However. Max was transitioned from cooked chicken and rice extremely slowly. Canned pumpkin was the last plant product to go. The reason.... The day after a nice dollop was fed and happily eaten there was a very interesting poop. That pumpkin came out completely unchanged, looked straight from the can. Okay, maybe it was because his gut was still adjusting to raw but that was the last time I gave him veggies as part of a meal.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2