GO!

sardines--are the ones in oil off limits?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 8:46pm PST 
So my mom picked up some sardines for Treader because I've been feeding them lately. Most of the ones she bought were in water, but some were in oil. Is it alright to feed those, or no go?

Anywho, I'm going to be leaving on a week-long trip in just over another day. Treader will be staying behind and eating kibble while I'm gone.
Tried to get him to eat a couple pieces tonight. Little snot just turned his nose up at them. confused This is good stuff, too. At least three meat sources, and grain free.
He did just eat a meal before that, so that could explain it. Maybe tomorrow when he's hungry and waiting on food it'll be a different story. If not, tough noogies.
Told my mom to just let him go hungry if he won't eat the food, and if she absolutely needs to, to mix a small something delicious in there. I'll feed it to him tomorrow night, to see what kind of problems she can expect from him.

I'm afraid eating raw spoiled him. laugh out loud He never was terribly enthusiastic about kibble when he did eat it. Was excited at dinner, of course, but I'd put his kibble in a little cat dish, and even then he'd only eat half of it.

Edited by author Sun Apr 7, '13 8:55pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 10:23pm PST 
I have always been concerned with the extra calories in oil packed fish, don't know any other reason to avoid it. Too much omega 6 maybe? Bet Treader would eat kibble mixed with that stinky stuff!
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 10:42pm PST 
I've fed jake and Sweetie kibble with Sardine oil on it. As in oil from Sardines preserved in Olive Oil.

Jake even eats sardines that have been kept in Olive oil before i started buying smelt. I only used olive because jake's allergic to soy and i like my sardines to be in Olive Oil big grin
[notify]

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 6:28am PST 
I don't make a habit of buying them in oil, but since you already have them, I'd feed them.

Actually I've been getting whole, raw, flash-frozen sardines from the frozen seafood section of a local grocery chain. They run between $2.30 and $3.30 per lb - for some reason smaller fish are more expensive. On the pricier side, but for such an awesome supplement I'm more than willing to pay up!
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 7:39pm PST 
So, Treader asked for supper, I gave him 1/2 cup of the kibble. He looks up at me like "What is this???" I say "Food!" and point at the dish of kibble.H e takes a piece out, goes to the carpet and eats it. He takes some more pieces out to eat on the carpet, taking breaks to see if I'm getting out anything else for him to eat. He eventually starts to eat the kibble while standing at the bowl, but only eats about half of it before walking away.
I tried to go back in the kitchen and get him to finish it a few times, and he ate a few more pieces, but would stop. I just decided to leave the rest out for him to finish later on whenever he gets hungry again.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 12:09pm PST 
Trying it is progress! Be careful of how long it's down - sardines are SO nutrient rich that they turn very fast. Even flash frozen like I buy them, they aren't supposed to sit in the freezer for more than a month! I thought the warnings were overly cautious at first, but they definitely degrade when I let them sit.

Was just thinking back to the OP - My mom loves getting stuff for the dogs too. I like to highlight the positive in the situation, so everyone still feels good and I get more of what's better for them next time. So in your case, I'd have said something like "Oh, awesome, you found some in just water! Those are their favorite - where'd you get them from? I have a hard time finding them."

Edited by author Tue Apr 9, '13 12:10pm PST

[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Sat Apr 13, '13 7:04pm PST 
Regarding the oil-packed fish -- if it's not specified otherwise the sardines are probably packed in soybean oil, an oil that doesn't agree with a lot of dogs. Unfortunately sardines aren't just in their own oil, as sardine oil's great stuff! If you know Treader to be a dog with a relatively strong constitution I wouldn't worry about it too much, just drain off as much as you can. If he's got a history of being sensitive to certain ingredients or gets the runs easily I'd take a pass on them, though. Could be a recipe for some not-so-fun times unless your idea of fun is getting up at 3am for a potty emergency or cleaning up really runny smelly stools. silenced

From a nutritional angle, the biggest potential long-term problem I'd see with feeding canned sardines (or salmon or mackerel or herring) packed in a vegetable derived oil on a semi-regular basis would be completely and totally negating the content of Omega-3 EFAs that a lot of people feed fish like this for in the first place. Vegetable oils are super duper high in Omega-6 EFAs, and though they are crucial to health, most dogs (and people) these days are in no danger of not getting enough, but really do need to try to get them more in balance with the Omega-3 intake.
[notify]