GO!

need some advice!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 8:28pm PST 
I am new to this site. And I will be getting an american staffordshire terrier puppy soon and researching and the raw diet is the way I want to go. I know I need to not overwhelm the pup with different meats in the beginning and introduce other meats after I introduce chicken first. My first question is a diet based on 3 meats sufficient for a dog? For instance chicken, turkey, beef and occasionally throw in sumtin different maybe like 2 or 3 times a month deer or bison or sumtin of that nature ok? As far as the organs liver will probably be the primary source for organ is that ok I mean maybe 2 or 3 times a month give some kidney or spleen but primarily liver ? and now the last question is about heart I would like to feed my pup this but I am scared because I really dnt know the right amount weekly? I watched YouTube videos I see some dogs eat like 1/4 of a heart then I see other owners only feed like a small cut. I would like to know the right amount I should feed my pup?
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 9:10pm PST 
Organs should make up about 10% of the overall diet. Liver should make up half of that 10%, and other organ(s) the other half. Kidneys and spleen are great.

The variant of raw mostly fed here is 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ. But those are general guidelines. You have room for some leeway there. (Bone is hard to really weigh, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It acts like fiber, so watch the poop. Too watery, not enough bone. Constipation, too much bone. Some dogs may actually need more or less than 10%.)

Your meat sources sound good. I'd try to have as much red meat in the diet as possible.

Here's a thread with some links for reading up on raw.
Here's a spreadsheet you can use to keep track of the diet once you begin feeding it, if you like.

Edited by author Sun Apr 7, '13 9:11pm PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 9:23pm PST 
I generally consider three proteins to be a good minimum. The only issue I see with your three is that two of them are poultry. Red meat is more nutrient dense, so it's best to feed at least half red meat if you can. Other issue is that with chicken and turkey, you're likely going to end up with a lot more edible bone than you need. Too much bone will equate to too much calcium, which over time can be harmful to a growing puppy. Try to stick as closely to 10% bone as you can while your dog is growing.

It's important to adhere to 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ (like the kidney and spleen) as much as you can. Not a big deal if you give a little more liver than other organs, but ideally you want to be giving equal amounts of each for a total of 10% of the overall diet.

Heart is considered muscle meat, so there's not really a correct amount. It's a very rich meat, so the main consideration is not giving more than your dog can handle.

In addition to the threads Treader mentioned, I'd highly recommend reading through Chance's Beginner's Guide to Prey Model Raw.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 9:38pm PST 
Ok thanks for the advice. what if I replaced one of the poultry with red meat every week for example week 1: chicken, pork and beef. Second week: turkey, pork and beef? What would be better lamb or pork? Or is there another good red meat source out there? thanks for the answer for the heart as well I guess I'll just have to base it on my dog.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 10:21pm PST 
Both are great. Feed both! I like your plan to alternate chicken and turkey for bone, that should work. Remember lamb and pork usually have edible bone too and bony cuts are cheaper than boneless, you might end up feeding just the beef, lamb and pork those weeks.

Starting out you would feed a sliver of something more powerful than skeletal muscle like heart but in time you probably could just use it in a big hunk. A pork heart is the perfect sized meal for Max and he is fine with it now. Well both of us - I am likely to see a somewhat interesting poop the day after but I know why and it doesn't bother him. That is actually a big part of learning how to feed this stuff. On kibble we are concerned when poop varies but prey model raw fed dogs eat different stuff every day and the poop will reflect what went in!

It sounds like you are planning to buy meat on a weekly basis. That will cost you. Chicken is easy enough to find for a pretty good price somewhere every week but beef and lamb are much cheaper if you wait for a good price and buy lots at one time.

I wouldn't start out feeding a hunk of liver or kidney once a week. Organs cause loose stool. Count on feeding a little bit daily for a while.

We will be looking forward to seeing your new pup's profile when he comes home!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 8:01am PST 
Well my plan is when it is on sale buy alot and store it in a freezer I kno every week I might feed more chicken or more beef or more turkey depending on what I have the most of I just want to know if that will hurt the dog rather then benefit? I'm new at this so I'm kind of worried about how much variety I really need. I kno in the beginning stick to chicken for about a week or two depending on the stool then introduce other meats as I go. Thanks max for the info so should I feed him about 1/3 of the amount of organ 3 times a week. I know in the beginning it will be expensive because I'm new at this and Im the type of person who gets carried away lol. But in time I'm sure I'll have it down and learn how to save.
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 8:35am PST 
No it won't hurt. I shopped monthly for the first year so Max might have had only beef organs, pork meat and chicken for a whole month. A couple weeks ago he was fed through the bony chicken we didn't eat plus a beef roast and a little tub of organ that lasted 5 days.

Don't count on feeding organs 3x a week at first. Maybe in a few months and maybe never. Then again, baby dog could be fine right away. Have to wait and see.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 9:45am PST 
Young puppies do tend to adjust rapidly, as they haven't been eating kibble for more than a few weeks. I switched my German Shepherd at eight weeks, and I only fed one exclusively chicken meal before introducing beef. I waited about a week before giving organs, but introduced them gradually.

My feeling is that puppies under six months are growing so rapidly they need a highly nutritious diet. Feeding exclusively chicken for a week or even two is unlikely to cause issues, but when you consider how much a puppy grows between 8 and 10 weeks, I consider it beneficial to introduce red meats and organs faster than you would with an adult, even if it causes slightly loose stools. Most puppies can handle it fine, but of course each is an individual, so observe carefully and go at your puppy's pace.

Edited by author Mon Apr 8, '13 12:07pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 1:02pm PST 
http://www.culebrameatmarket.com/var/m_c/c7/c7b/110418/220744-pdf-cu lebra-meat-market.pdf
I hope this link works I'm doing this from an iPad but this is from my local meat store provides prolly the most fresh meat here in town and they have package deals maybe y'all can look at it and maybe tell me what y'all would buy or get... Thanks guys
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 1:33pm PST 
Oops, maybe I need to clarify. Max gets 7 ounces of organ a week. I now give it as part of 3-4 meals a week. When we started he got .5 ounces of liver and .5 ounces of kidney daily, moved to either 1 ounce of liver or 1 ounce of kidney daily and are now at 2 ounces of organ of any kind when it is offered up.

Too high for me, all the packages are more than $2 a pound even with lots of chicken included. Look for bone in chicken as cheap as you can. I have been very badly boning $.99 bone in chicken breasts and Max gets the bone and we get the meat or whole ones for about $.80 a pound. Look for pork at about $1.50 a pound boneless or much less with bone in. Look for beef as low as you can, recently there was bone in chuck here for $2 a pound and boneless for $2.70 a pound. Organs are not usually on sale and you pay whatever. I try to pay less than $2 a pound for meat, less than $1 a pound for bony meats. Over all Max's food has been $1.50 a pound lately. Look at the flyers of all the markets around you instead and look in the clearance bins of markets close by. My market tends to have $8 steaks marked down to $6 a pound in there but sometimes there is something good enough to buy.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2