GO!

Mixed feelings... Do I or don't I?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 3:04pm PST 
I was talking to my vet yesterday when I took the dogs in for their monthly weight check and I asked him about Dexter's weight...

Dexter has always seemed really thin to me and is a very, very fussy eater...

He will literally only eat when he has been out walking or training for two hours plus... I know this is a typical working dog trait but sometimes I cannot take him out for two hours at a time, some days he gets three, one hour walks which is a lot but Dexter won't eat when he comes home and because of this, his weight fluctuates constantly...

I recently switched both dogs to Orijen and Skip loves it but Dexter will still turn his nose up at it :o/

So, my vet suggested raw.... He told me that it's a very highly debated subject among dog owners (that I already knew) but then continued to tell me when it's fed properly, is one of the best diets for dogs. Especially dogs like Dexter as you can bet your boots, Dexter will demolish a chunk of meat without ANY exercise lol...

My only concern is, where do I even start?!

I know next to nothing about raw but a lightbulb went on in my head when the vet suggested raw to me... Dexter would undoubtably love to be fed raw puppy

So, can anyone give me any advice? Any websites to check out and any books that I can buy?

Any information for a complete beginner will be greatly appreciated and if you need to know anything else about Dexter, just ask puppy

Thanks in advance x

Edited by author Sat Apr 6, '13 3:06pm PST

[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 3:21pm PST 
I've just bumped up two raw newbie threads for you. Both are a really good read. smile
[notify]
Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 3:23pm PST 
Thanks Rexy puppy

I've just read the first thread and it's great! A little daunting but very good and I'm about to look at the website puppy

I originally had very mixed feelings but I'm feeling better and better about my vet's advice as I read on puppy

Edited by author Sat Apr 6, '13 3:33pm PST

[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 3:39pm PST 
This is pretty good guide to start.
http://preymodelraw.com/how-to-get-started/

Chance's guide has a lot of info too.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 4:10pm PST 
I love, love, love Chance's Beginner's Guide to Prey Model Raw. Just about everything you need to know in there, especially on how to get started.

A few quick basics are to choose one protein to start with, preferably somewhat bland and with edible bone. Most people use chicken because it's easy to get and has bone pretty much any dog can eat. You want to feed pieces large enough the dog has to chew and can't try to gulp. From there you want to watch stools. Loose stools initially is normal, but they should start looking normal within a few days. Fat, like chicken skin, tends to cause loose stools, and bone generally firms them up. So you many need to adjust what you're feeding accordingly.

Once stools are looking good on your first protein, you can start gradually introducing a new one. Organs are an important part of the diet, but they also tend to be the worst offenders for causing loose stools, so it's best to wait until your dog has adjusted to raw, and from there introduce organ meats very slowly.

I'm sure you've already read it, but basic numbers to follow are 2-3% of your dog's ideal weight or a puppy's expected adult weight per day (these are just guidelines, some dogs, like high energy working breeds, need more and some need less, like older dogs or dogs with slower metabolism). Eventually, you want to be feeding 80% meat (with as much red meat as possible), 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ such as kidney, spleen, thymus, ect. Balance over time is the goal, you don't need to feed those proportions everyday. Most people aim for 80/10/5/5 over the course of a week or 10 days.

It's great that your vet is on-board with raw. I'd say give it a try if you think it'd help your boy. Many people who switch are so impressed with the improvements they see, including in areas they hadn't even considered, they never go back.

Edited by author Sat Apr 6, '13 4:21pm PST

[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 4:11pm PST 
Premade raw like blue ridge beef, or Stella and chewys are as easy as kibble dog food. Or a dehydrated raw like sojos.
[notify]
Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 3:37am PST 
Thanks Onyx puppy

I think I've masteres the basics... I'm doing a lot of reading but what you said makes perfect sense about the ratios of meat, bone and organs e.t.c.

My vet also emailed me a lot of information and a few tips, he is also sending me out information packs and is ordering me the book that he used when he switched his dogs to raw... I've read a few posts and it seems as though my vet may be the only vet on the planet that is on board with raw lol... I wouldn't even have thought about it if he hasn't suggested it puppy

Thanks for all your help puppy
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 4:28am PST 
While you do the reading go and chat to your butcher, ask about purchasing trim. Mine puts all the beef offcuts aside for me every week, it makes the diet so much more affordable when you get to the red meat stages. You want to get as much red meat into the diet as you possibly can once you're through the chicken transition.

Mine does very well on this diet - no hyper, good coat, sustained energy release. It's a particularly good diet for working breeds.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 5:11am PST 
Interesting, Dexter, since I was also discussing raw diet with MY vet yesterday as well. She was a captive audience because we were doing a Rabies Clinic.
She was immediately aghast when I mentioned raw diet, and started in about how much she HATED the internet giving all these people ideas like that. I mentioned how I LOVED weaning my babies, especially the little ones, on premade raw, and... she AGREED that it WAS good and it WAS nature's way, AFTER her spiel about salmonella, which I was prepared for and suitably debunked, and she agreed with MY points about that.
HOWEVER, she did have some EXCELLENT points!!! MOST of the clients she is running into with raw diet are there because they are having serious problems because they have NO CLUE what they are doing. One client actually puts down four or five whole roasting chickens and LEAVES THEM for how long it takes her dogs to eat them... a week, whatever. Can you imagine???
Her point was that, as a vet, she needs to prevent this type of misuse of the diet, yet she has found that MOST of these people will not ever get it right so it is much better to just tell them NOT to feed raw.
I admit, knowing what I have to do to educate some of our grooming clients, it is FAR BETTER for these dogs to just not recommend raw diet!
BTW, she is perfectly willing to work with a client who DOES their research and is doing it right, and has no problems with that.
[notify]
Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 9:23am PST 
Toto, my vet also said the same... But he also told me when fed RIGHT, raw is great... He doesn't just tell everyone to feed raw...

That's why I'm also not rushing in to it... He told me to do my research (that he's helping with), before I make my decision... The only reason he suggested looking in to raw is purely because of Dexter... He will not eat kibble until he has had hours of exercise and is tired... But this is making his weight fluctuate... He gets three hours of exercise a day but doesn't get it in a block, therefore, he doesn't eat a lot... He can literally lose and gain 3-5 pounds a week...

Hence my vet asked if he shows interest in actual meat, when I responded that he did... That's when he started telling me about raw...

Please don't assume my vet doesn't care about the problems people can have when raw is fed wrongly.

It's almost like the last resort before I have to live with his fluctuating weight... Kibble is a no go, tinned or sachet wet meat, he couldn't care less about but if I'm cutting up meat for my dinner, he acts starving... I think that's what the vet picked up on...

JT, the butcher is a great idea, thank you... I'll go visit him once I've worked out ratios of how much I will need for Dexter puppy

Edited by author Sun Apr 7, '13 9:28am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2