GO!

New english bulldog puppy going raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

King Roofus

bully power

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 7:59pm PST 
I just started our 7 month old english bulldog on a raw diet 2 days ago. he likes to try and eat the meat whole at once! he rarely chewed his kibble. so he doesn't really know how to chew. i have been feeding him chicken legs and thighs. i have been holding the meat for him which does help, but once it gets to a certain size I can't hold it without loosing a finger or 2! smile either way....he tends to choke on the knuckle part of the bone on the ends. any tips?

also, anyone else with a bulldog on a raw diet?

any other good boney meat to feed bulldogs thats not as easy for them to try and swallow (just got some chicken backs-but they already cut up from the butcher. can't find chicken necks anywhere). any help would be great!
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 8:10pm PST 
Chicken leg cuarters!! Chivken wings attached to the chest,turkey necks and chicken necks. You can find those at the butcher. If the first one doesn't have some,ask him if he knows where to get them.

Anything with edible bones right now that is big enough for him not to chew is good.
[notify]
King Roofus

bully power

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 8:27pm PST 
Thanks! tried chicken quarters...he would break at the intersection of the leg and thigh and try to eat the whole leg or whole thigh! (this guy is crazy hehehe)...but good idea on the chest and wing...i will try that...i can't find necks anywhere in oakland, ca....and no one seems to know where to find them! did find a place with turkey necks...but i heard turkey necks are harder and might not work well with his little teeth...will give them a try! thanks so much!
[notify]

Terry

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 8:39pm PST 
You can always get a whole chicken. And...extreme dogs requite extreme measurements xD. Cut that chicken in gour portions. Cut it in half. The chest and backside in half too so you get chest with wing and all,and quarters with...butt?lol. Try feeding those monsters for some days until he learns to chew. You can also to teach him to chew. Get some chicken breast without bone*ot with it* give that whole. Without the bone he will be forced to tear at the meat and chew it to be able to get pieces small enough to swallow. With bone too. Since there are no joints he won't be able to eat it with no chewing.
[notify]
King Roofus

bully power

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 9:41pm PST 
Thanks! Will try that tomorrow!
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 10:00pm PST 
Caroline apparnelty knows how to chew naturally * a god send for me*

Jake on the other hand had to be taught. He is a major kibble gulper. I started giving him chicken quarters frozen. I mean frozen solid in the L shape or chicken breast frozen attached to a leg or if it was a split breast already had bone in it then just that frozen.

in other words try freezing the food. It will make it harder for him to swollow hole and froze chewing. ONce he's learned to chew it you can try semi thawed and then once he understands he had to chew you can give fresh or unfrozen food.

THey pick up chewing kind of quick if you use the frozen method.
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 8:29am PST 
I have luck,my dogs are chewers,they never tried to swallow. P.J used to get cooked bones(Yikes) so maybe that trained her to chew XD. terry...a puppy+chew this= YES!.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 9:41am PST 
If he is chomping the piece before swallowing he is doing it right. Max could chomp a chicken wing 60-80x and swallow in less than a minute. Each chomp broke the bones multiple times so by the time he swallowed it must have looked like it had been hit with a hammer 30x or so.

It isn't easy resolving the need for big with the need to maintain serving size especially when overfeeding will cause unpleasant poops. You could easily give a big chicken to a dog used to eating raw without problems but while switching that is a bit chancy if you haven't fed raw before. Brachycephalic dogs are especially tricky as their heads and mouths are much larger than the rest of the dog! Freezing is a classic move. I have had some success forcing the knobby ends of wings and drumsticks into kongs. Max hasn't figured out how to pull the meat out but chews down to the knob instead. I get to poke the remains out which isn't easy but so far so good.
[notify]