GO!

kibble and raw...can they be happy together?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Terry

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 7:28pm PST 
I was thinking today of something i would like to try.

But first i would like to know the pro's and cons of such idea.

Feeding raw,table scraps and kibble. An example: three days of the week. Kibble and table scraps. Then,the other four days. Raw food only.

Can that be done? Is it harmful for them? *i heard that the PH changes to 1 and giving kibble sets it back to 5 wich is bad* but. Do i still get the benefits of raw?... i don't have a grain free kibble to give, haven't found any on my country yet,can it work?.

If i do it,it would be more for the easy of mind. And the fact that i will not have it easy if i need to go out of the country and someone will care for them.

I know you can mix kibble with the table scraps or raw eggs and cottage cheese. The first nutricionist whose blog i checked says that it is ok to give it as supplement,but only a good quality pet food.

The reason why i dont want to do kibble at night and raw on morning its because of the digestion time of both.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 8:36pm PST 
I do that all the time and have yet to encounter a problem.

The digestion rates are so miniscule that you will not cause an issue with a healthy dog by mixing the food types in the same meal. All three of my dogs (one of which has nasty digestive issues) do this fine. Besides, thousands of dog mushers all across the worlds mix various food types together without issue. If doing that was inherently fatal or otherwise detrimental to the dog's health, they would not do it.
Granted, some dogs do have issues when you mix food types together regardless of it being in the same meal or separate. You just have to know your dog and how they handle different food types.

What I generally do for two of the dogs is kibble in the morning during training, then they get some sort of realfood snack (tablescraps, raw foods, etc.) in the evening. The Shiba (digestion problem dog) gets raw foods as his main morning meal and various snacks in the evening. He occasionally gets kibble during training.
I do this simply because it's easiest to do it that way. Not because of some digestion rate hype or other such nonsense.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 8:38pm PST 
I kinda feed jake whatever i want. He gets raw primiarily. Kibble if i get home late or am in a hurry. Table scraps when i can't finish my own dinner. I'm single and i tend to make food for like 4 and after lunch the next day the left overs get trashed or put in jake's bowl. he seems fine.

Sweetie on the other hand seems to have some food issues with dog food. So she is getting right now raw + home cooked. I had to put her on raw beause she was continuously stealing jake's food that i gave up trying to feed her one thing and him another.

But i think you can be safe it's probably "okay" since in reality there are dogs in worst places that survive on trash and dirty water. So it's probably fine. I know other people here feed like i do. Maybe on eof htem will chime in too.
[notify]

Terry

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 8:48pm PST 
So it is a good idea then. big grin. My puppy needs to eat three times a day so i think i will feed kibble at night.

Do you feed normally on raw and kibble,like still give organ meat and things like that? Supplements are not needed i think.

I currently have beneful here but i can try to find a better kibble,one that has at listen chicken instead of chicken by product.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 8:51pm PST 
Jake eats whatever i have big grin. IF it's a raw day then he gets chicken with whatever beef organs i had. Then antoehr day it may be kibble and other day raw.

I feed Merrick for Jake at the moment. Sweetie eats a dehydrated raw dog food that is way too expensive. silenced So it's rare they eat kibble. now a days.

I just unloaded like $47 at superking and bought enough food for the two of them to last till about the end of the month. ONe bag of Merrick costs me $65 and we woudl need to have a minimum 2-3 bags a month to get by so i'm already happy i'm back to almost full time raw. But then again i can't feed the cheaper pup foods because of Jake's allergies.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 5:57am PST 
If half of the diet is raw, then yes you still need to balance with organ.
[notify]
Luna

Luna the- Albanian Pit

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 1:47am PST 
If I have enough meat I would never feed kibble to my dogs. Kibble is just dehidrated rubbish,its full of chemicals and god knows what else and to top it all off it smells awful,not to mention how its got to taste.I dont care what the ingredients say,how wonderful the packaging is or how expensive it is..once they dehidrate the so called "human grade" meat and vegatables and add the conservants and what ever else they throw in,kibble is just chemical rubbish.
[notify]