GO!

Moar! Questioooooooons!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Terry

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 9:20pm PST 
Hello!!. Yes,i will keep asking stuff...Or using one post to ask many questions party.

Well,here i go XD:
Should i feed bone with every meal?

My pup is transitioning in to more variety,will giving a RMB prevent him from having loose stools?,and can i stop giving it with every meal after his system gets accustomed?

Are supplements a necessity or just add-ons?

If i have to add supplements,which and where can i find them (we have GNCs here and i can get things via internet,but i would prefer if i can get it on the drugstore or locally.)

What are other sources of edible bones apart from chicken? *small dogs plz*

What and how often should i offer for variety?

Can i feed "franken-prey" or feed just one protein per week?

What meats do you get from the supermarket?
Here i can get: Goat,beef,chicken,pork,quail,turkey,fish,rabbit and lamb.

How do you know you are doing it "right",i have heard it can be years till you notice there is a deficiency/too much of a thing and cause problems.
my dogs are active,playful and for now healthy smile

I mixed some veggies and fruits and made a puree,then freezed it,i give one ice cube of this a week,is that ok? it has: apple,banana,dark leafy greens such as roman lettuce,spinach and celery.

I heard yogurt,kefir and Cottage cheese are good,should i add those?... I give yogurt already,sometimes with an egg.

Are you tired of me asking?(I0I)

Done!. Have a hug! & Thanks!

Edited by author Tue Apr 2, '13 9:24pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 9:53pm PST 
I never get tired of answering question but most of the answers are found in Chance's nice primer on feeding raw!
http://puppybutt.weebly.com/prey-model-raw.html

Should i feed bone with every meal?
Depends. Daily at first anyway. Max would have had more uniform poop if I could somehow have given him bone twice a day!

My pup is transitioning in to more variety,will giving a RMB prevent him from having loose stools?,and can i stop giving it with every meal after his system gets accustomed?
No a meaty bone won't prevent loose stools if you feed too much, feed too much new meat or feed too much organ. Guess how I know that! After all the meats and organs are fine and dandy with his gut you can try skipping the bony bit once a week, then twice until you are able to feed precisely that 'magical' 10% bone.

Are supplements a necessity or just add-ons?
Fish oil is usually needed if you don't offer fatty fish or mostly pastured/grass fed/wild meats. Max gets a low percentage of his body weight and I am more comfortable giving him precisely his mineral needs so he gets 1/2 of a multi mineral most days as well as a fish oil capsule and the vitamin E you need to use if feeding fish oil. Tripe can help with a lot of minerals that are a bit low and mostly red meat is a huge help though.

If i have to add supplements,which and where can i find them (we have GNCs here and i can get things via internet,but i would prefer if i can get it on the drugstore or locally.)
Costco has cheap fish oil and vitamin E, Whole Foods and Vitamin Shoppe have the same plus that multi mineral I like to use. Didn't care for GNC stuff much and the local drug stores don't carry multi minerals that work for Max. I only use human grade stuff, cheaper and possibly safer than ones meant for dogs. Do check for xylitol - deadly poison for dogs!

What are other sources of edible bones apart from chicken? *small dogs plz*
Max eats what he wants off any bone and I throw a lot away. Only bone I won't offer are small ones and the long bones of large animals like beef. Rabbit, fish, duck, Cornish Game hen are great for smaller dogs.

What and how often should i offer for variety?
I don't consider a raw diet well designed unless there are at least 2 livers, 2 other organs and more red meat like pork, lamb and beef are fed than chicken, duck or turkey.

Can i feed "franken-prey" or feed just one protein per week?
Your dogs will let you know if that works or not. A few dogsters have run into budget crunches and fed only bony chicken and the dogs turned stinky and greasy in about a week so don't carry this too far!

What meats do you get from the supermarket?
Here i can get: Goat,beef,chicken,pork,quail,turkey,fish,rabbit and lamb.
Better than I get! Max gets beef, chicken and pork from the grocery store and ostrich, goat and lamb from the traveling dog meat guy.

How do you know you are doing it "right",i have heard it can be years till you notice there is a deficiency/too much of a thing and cause problems.
my dogs are active,playful and for now healthy smile
I have a list of Max's requirements and know how to use nutritiondata.com well enough PLUS I have some analysis of meaty bones so I am sure he is getting what he needs. If your dog returns to some greasy ears, stinky breath, gets fleas again [if they went away, Max's did] and that sort of thing time to evaluate what you are giving.
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/491589

I mixed some veggies and fruits and made a puree,then freezed it,i give one ice cube of this a week,is that ok? it has: apple,banana,dark leafy greens such as roman lettuce,spinach and celery.
You decide. Feed it for a month then stop. Perhaps it makes a big difference, perhaps not.

I heard yogurt,kefir and Cottage cheese are good,should i add those?... I give yogurt already,sometimes with an egg.
Can if you like. Max adores yogurt but gets very little. Do as you do with the veggies, feed then stop and decide.
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 10:30pm PST 
Oh my~!! Thank you!
[notify]

Terry

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 11:05pm PST 
Awkward,my post is incomplete...Okay..i will just have to write it again:

If i give fish one or twice a week(canned sardines in spring water,no salt added) Do i have to supplement with fish oil,or that covers the Omega 3/6?

Is vitamin E only added if you are giving fish oil?

I do have a loooong,list on natural sources of vitamins and minerals,and most if not all,come from bones and meat,and organs.

I got it from a forum on raw feeding,I should post it here.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 11:00am PST 
Dogs need about 100mg of the two main omega 3 fatty acids combined per 10 pounds of dog a day but it is fine if they are given a couple times a week instead of daily. Look on the can's label to see how much would work. More is fine too, you don't have to be super accurate on this one.

Max's diet seems low in vitamin E anyway so even when he gets real fish I give him some vitamin E supplement.
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 1:59pm PST 
I found whole frozen sardines! Love the fact they are RAW and not filled with oils and salts. smile
[notify]