GO!

One month in to raw!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Terry

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 5:19pm PST 
Yay!. so far so good,but i can stop feeling uneasy.

I want to know your opinions.

i have been feeding mostly chicken for the bone content.
and have been introducing red meat,some quail,eggs,yogurt,veggie mix, and chicken liver.

i want to know what is normal,i now learned that giving too much liver makes my pup have lose stools,red meat did nothing. today i fed terry a chicken wing with red meat chunks,an amount close to the size of the wing.

I want to start adding more variety for both of them,i have pig in the freezer,want to get some goat and turkey,and others. anything i can get in the supermarket.

I have been feeding mostly chicken,and i don't know what other meats are a source of edible bone,since they are small dogs,i never feed beef bones,they are too hard for them.

How am i doing??. suggestions and anything is welcome!!. My pup is three months today and my Chi,P.J has one year and a half.
[notify]
Luna

Luna the- Albanian Pit

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 1:26am PST 
To me you are feeding him too many different meats. Pick one for now and he will be good, seeing that he is a puppy chicken will be good and some organs (liver, beef heart, green tripe is great). Later you can change to red meats.

I have not been able to find cheap chicken where I live so no chicken for my girl. Instead I have always had available a lot of red meat. So i fed her that, and because she couldn't get enough calcium I fed her some milk every day. Some people say it may give them the diarrhea but my pooch never had a problem with it. It is very good for her. These are the foods i feed her everyday.

Once in two days I feed her 1 boiled free range chicken egg and a spoon of olive oil, they have omega3 and will make the dogs coat shine.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 7:34am PST 
If you are introducing one new food at a time and slowly increasing until you reach the amount you want to give normally go ahead and continue working on introducing new foods. Pups can go faster than adults sometimes. Just watch the poop the way you have been and drop foods that cause issues and reintroduce them once poop is back on track but at a much slower rate. I took the .5 ounce of liver Max needs per day and froze it. Then I shaved it into tiny slivers and rolled into a bit of plastic and put back into the freezer. The first day he got one sliver. That was fine so the following day he got 2 then 3 until he could eat the whole .5 ounce in one day. I got at least 10 slivers from that bit of liver, you can see how slowly I took it. Max adores liver and I didn't want to take the chance it would upset his tummy and he would stop liking it.

Except for the long leg bones of large mammals like cattle and moose dogs can have fun with any bone. I throw away lots of bone which makes the meal more expensive but it is more fun than just getting chicken bone all the time. Small dogs can eat rabbit, quail fish, rat, some small lamb and pork bones usually. Max's favorite not completely edible bone is beef rib. He gets enough off to meet his calcium needs and I must throw away about 75-90% of the bone.

Milk products are high in calcium but not high enough for a dog's needs. Don't count on them. Use a bit of powdered eggshell instead if over a week's time your dog hasn't had enough bone. Offer 1/2 measuring teaspoon per pound of meat fed.

I use chicken at first then start offering red meats one at a time. Once the meal is half bony chicken and half new meat I move on. I start with a very small amount of the new meat. Some may take longer to introduce than others. Heart is rich in minerals, tripe, pork and tongue can be fatty and dogs need more time to get accustomed to them so better to start small and be able to stay at that point then have to backtrack to what worked and go slow anyway. Organs are usually last but some people like to work on the organs of that meat before going to the next meat so they might work on chicken liver before going to pork then pork liver and kidney. Your choice!

Once the dog has been on raw for a year or so and had many different meats you might be able to offer new stuff without much introduction. Max never had goat before I bought whole fetal goat and was just fine, he had been on raw for 2 years at that point I think.
[notify]

Terry

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 7:03pm PST 
THANKS! I already have eggshell powder from the egg my chickens lay. I give a tiny teaspoon(1/2 i think) not always,sometimes like two or three times a week. Pup gets a little more. If i already gave something with calciul that day i don't add it. I do add when i give egg.
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 8:11pm PST 
Remember you don't have to feed calcium daily and more is not better! Only add that eggshell if you haven't fed enough bone for a week or so.
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 9:25pm PST 
So,once per week is okey?
I know ground eggshell is pure calcium. And someone mentioned that the last protein you should introduce is beef. So i decided to go for turkey and. They had turkey today and tomorrow,should i give only turkey or i cab still give chicken?
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 1:05am PST 
No, if you count up the bony meals fed for a while and they aren't enough. 38 pound Max is supposed to get an average of an ounce of bone a day. Say a single chicken wing is about 1.5 days worth of bone for him. If in a given week for some reason I only fed him 2 wings then he would be short 4 days of calcium and I might put some in that next meal. He gets about 10 ounces of food a day which comes to about 2.5 pounds of meat so I would mix a heaping measuring teaspoon of egg shell in that meal. So far this has never come close to happening!

Most dogs need bone in most meals at least at first or they will have loose poop. One of the ways new raw feeders get into trouble is they stick to feeding the 30% bone whole chicken too long because the tiny hard poops are so easy to deal with. Dogs like eating bone and we like feeding it to them!

I was more comfortable giving small amounts of new meat with the usual bony chicken and increasing the new meat until the meal was about half and half. Switching back and forth could upset the dog's tummy. If your dog has been on a monotonous kibble diet for years then it could take time for the gut to learn how to switch gears and handle variety. Max was 8 years old when he started raw and was coming from a cooked diet that was quite monotonous.
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 5:17pm PST 
Recently i saw a post on another forum. People say that feeding puppies raw is bad unless you REALLY. Know whar you are doing. But yet i see a lot of people raising pups on raw or even weaning them to it.

What do you think?
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 6:51pm PST 
If you have the picture of a good raw diet in your head and day by day you are working closer to that picture then you are fine. If you aren't sure what a good raw diet looks like and you bounce around wondering what you are doing it may be bad for your pup.

A good raw diet is mostly red meat with a little edible bone and a little organ. Half the organ is liver and the other half kidney, spleen and such. For many dogs you only feed enough bone to firm the poop although some dogs don't need bone at all and you must remember to feed bony bits! And all that is needed over a period of time, not daily.

I bumped to the top the mistakes thread. Most of us are going to mess up anyway but it might help.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 7:27pm PST 
As long as you're feeding around 10% bone (which really isn't a lot), I would not add extra calcium in any form. Excessive calcium in growing puppies is not a good thing and can lead to problems down the road. Your proportions have to be pretty off for a decently long time to cause any lasting damage, but growing puppies are going to be more sensitive to imbalances, so it's important not to over or under feed bone and organs.

Like Maxwell said, I would aim to feed just enough bone to keep stools looking good. If you're feeding mostly chicken, you should be getting more than enough bone without eggshell.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2