GO!

Found someone against raw feeding

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 9:59pm PST 
How many of those issues are brushed off as 'he's just a dog' by dog owners who haven't experimented with different foods for their pets?

This exactly.

So many things like a greasy, smelly coat and doggy breath are just considered normal by a lot of people. Dogs are extremely adaptable and can survive on diets that are far from ideal. Thriving is another matter entirely, and that does take some effort and experimentation to find what works best for the individual dog.
[notify]
Max

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 1:55am PST 
Hi, greetings from across the pond.

My Max is a bit like a garbage disposal. He'll eat whatever table scraps are available.
Even if he has a bowl of kibble, he'll prefer the possible scraps before he digs into the kibble.
My view on all this talk about 'natural' food being bad for your dog is this :
Eating raw, eating whatever they can find, is the normal way, it is the dog way, it is in their blood. If Max somehow had access to a piece of raw bacon and a piece of fried bacon, I can tell you exactly what would happen. He'd eat them both and he'd start with the raw meat laugh out loud
(don't ask me how I know that, lol, let's just say that sometimes he's smarter than I am)

Anyway, good luck with it, you have a very pretty puppy there.

Frank & Max
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 8:38am PST 
Hahah! Thank you!. XD my dogs eat everything but kibble,they may look excited about it,but if i put that plate down,they just stare at me like i had gone nuts.

I don't really calculate that much,i do things with eye-measuring,taking in account what i have heard and read. I am bad at math,i even tried the spreadsheet but XD it ate me.

I know of the 80/10/10 ratio,being (5% liver and 5% other organs). the day someone explains to me how to translate those in to amounts...lol. i would be jumping of happiness. Like,if i take a whole chicken,how many Oz of the liver would be 5%..i..math..no..please eek
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 9:41am PST 
Terry you have to do some math in the beginning. Take your dog's weight and multiply by 2% for a daily starting point. 10% of that needs to be organ and 10% needs to be bone. Half the organ is liver and half is other organ.

If you are feeding through a whole chicken then you need to add in a whole lot of meat and organ.

Read but don't memorize this part, way too many numbers. Max needs 10 ounces a day and about 300 ounces a month so my shopping list needed to have about 30 ounces of bone, 15 ounces of liver and 15 ounces of other organ. 90 ounces of whole chicken covered the bone part so I added it up and bought 300-[90+30]=180 ounces of boneless meat for the rest of it. 90 ounces is close enough to 6 pounds, 300 ounces is close enough to 19 pounds, 90 ounces is close enough to 180 ounces is close enough to 11.5 pounds, 15 ounces is close enough to a pound so I was buying a 6 pound chicken, pound of liver and pound of kidney and 12 pounds of boneless meat a month. Did that for a year.

This is what you need to remember. Buy twice as much boneless meat and a couple pounds of organ for each 5-6 pound whole chicken.
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 11:31am PST 
Well,after i wrote that post,i checked the thread on Raw Pray Model,and was reading the book,which showed me how to translate those numbers on to quantity. so,i ended up with this:

Terry: 4.0% of adult ideal body wight (6.5lb)

Food per day: 4.16 oz/0.26 lb.
Food per meal: 2 oz/0.13 lb.

Food per week(including bone,organ,meat,and anything in between):
29.12 oz/1.82 lb

weekly meat content: 23.296 oz/ 1.456 lb.
weekly bone content: 2.912 oz/ 0.182 lb
weekly liver quantity: 1.456 oz/ 0.091 lb
Other organs: 1.456 oz/ 0.091 lb

I choose 4.0% as I used the calculator on Raw4dogs and it says the following:

"2% if your dog is fat
2.5% - 3% to maintain present weight
Feed more % to fatten a skinny dog
Puppies may require up to 10% of body weight"

The largest percent on the calculator is 8.0. which i consider to be too much food XD...or maybe not,just taking in account what it say's about puppies. i don't want him too fat or too skinny. but maybe that is too little to feed?...dunno.

I was thinking on feeding: chicken,turkey and salmon(or any other fish) daily,in three meals. then,every week,add a new protein.

I decided on that after seeing this journal: http://www.chanceslittlewebsite.com/raw-journal-year-1.html. The first month,check that one. its not until day 28,that liver is introduced. It doesn't show it,but i believe it was three or two meals per day.

Edited by author Sat Apr 6, '13 11:34am PST

[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 11:48am PST 
Terry, make sure that you use those percentages as guidelines only. wink

My 5 year old dog eats just over 2% to maintain a healthy weight. She was eating close to 3% until the age of 3 when her metabolism slowed.

Feeding raw really isn't that hard once you get the hang of it and manage to source out everything you need, but, I would rather someone fed kibble rather then a low quality, improperly balanced raw diet. One can definitely do harm with an improper raw diet.

And as to what dogs ate before kibble, I seriously doubt that it was the raw diet we feed our dogs today. My understanding is that it was whatever was left over from the humans' meals.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3