GO!

Found someone against raw feeding

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Terry

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 4:41pm PST 
Oh.....Those persons that make me re-think about things and make me nervous.

Found a women today,i innocently mentioned that i feed my puppy raw....big mistake.

Bones kills,Specially chicken!,the bacteria,Oh my he is so young you are ruining his life!*he is three months old* THE PARASITES!! Only give cooked meats! you can give them rice,never cheese....blah blah...

Some of this things are true. there are risks,but,are they any reason to stop and go back to feeding kibble?...

Should i still feed kibble as a add-on?...
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 4:55pm PST 
Lol! I am suprised that there was only one. The main stream info is against raw due to the influence of the pet food industry. Most vets are not educated in the nutrition aspect of dogs and the pet food companies help pay for their education in return for them pushing their products... Anyway this website should help ease some of your worries.

http://rawfed.com/myths/
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 5:01pm PST 
XD. I have read that before. But you know everytime someone does talk against it,it cause those little fears to come again.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 5:46pm PST 
You'll get used to it, those people are everywhere. It's generally easier not to mention what you feed your dog to random people unless they have a genuine interest.

Cooked bones, especially chicken bones, are dangerous, which is why most people have heard you should never feed chicken bones. Dogs can choke on bones, but they can also choke on kibble. Same thing for bacteria; you find just as much, if not more, bacteria on kibble as on clean raw meat. And most meat is not crawling with parasites as some people would have you believe.

As far as feeding raw to puppies, my dog has been raw fed since 8 weeks and at almost two years old is still totally healthy. As long as your ratios aren't way off, your pup should be fine. If you do include kibble in the diet, you'll need to reduce the amount of bone you feed accordingly, which to me is more confusing and leaves more room for error.

Bottom line, everything comes with some risk. Properly fed to a healthy dog, raw is no more dangerous than kibble. I personally feel safer feeding my dog raw than kibble for a number of reasons.

Edited by author Tue Apr 2, '13 6:07pm PST

[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 6:44pm PST 
Oh it's okay. My vet tells me all the time Jake is perfectly healthy but I'm obviously killing him by feeding him a mostly raw based diet.

no what i'm killing is Banfield's bottom line... Since Jake doesn't need to go in for benedril every 3 weeks or steroid injects for his allergies.

My own mother tells me I'm killing her "grandbabies" because I feed them raw meat. When i consistantly point out every dog food i've fed has now had a recall for some dangerous microbe she won't hear anything about it.

As long as the bones aren't cooked and then some you should be fine on the bones front. Shoot,Jake got into a cooked chicken carcass and he's still heresilenced

As far as i'm concerned dogs seem to like raw better then dog food. As i'm still having the issue of keeping Sweetie out of Jake's food.

And just ask people what i always ask people. "if you're little snookies got out of your home and survived on his own what would he eat? no one's gonna catch that squirrel and cook it for them."

A few of my friends found jake's raw diet appropriate when he got rid of all the golphers in there backyard. Took him about a week to catch them all. it was a good week for me. I only had to recreational feed. he ate everything else big grin
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 8:59pm PST 
My mom seems really ok with me feeding raw. When she was small,dogs at her home ate table scraps and other cooked foods too. The woman also say'd that who got into me that idiotic idea that feeding raw meat to a dog was good...urghhh,just remembering that XD. Well,lady,excuse me,i got the idea myself.

Looking back,one of my dogs had a lot of missing teeth,he was 12 years old,maybe it was because he had been eating kibble and cooked bones all his life,heck we used to buy whole roasted chickens to feed our pack of chihuahuas(big size).

The only thing now is that i don't supplement with anything,just meat,some veggies once a week,eggs,i only add homemade egg-shell calcium.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 9:14pm PST 
out of my own curiosity i'm reading several books dating from the late 80s to the 90s to today about companion animal nutirtion and i'm already starting to see the varying importance of grains and veggies in a diet. I mean those extra things are up to you. Jake ate pretty much table scraps and primarily raw meat for about 6 months. He was fit, he was healthy and he was happy. Then i got broke and he went to home cooked. Still happy and a little heavier cuz i didn't really measure servings. ow a days he gets what i decide he eats which most times is raw meat. he's still happy a little too pudgy in my opinion nad healthy. Though he's got compititio since sweetie keeps trying to steal his stuff.

You're doing fine. Don't worry what others say. When I first read How to be Single and Own a dog. It had about 50 words on a raw diet and while i was initial interested the ocncept of a dog deating anything but kibble grossed me out. But hey it go ta dog that can't handle most cheap kibbles big grin so i went with the cheaper and healthier alternative. big grin
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 9:34pm PST 
Aww!!. I started to feed Raw because my Chi got sick after i gave her a decent meal of leftover cooked chicken,i started wondering why she got sick*loose stools* on something she have had before. Then I read about how they react cause they had no enzymes to digest those things because of eating kibble. one thing got me to another.

I am now reading,and have been for a month,lots of books,articles in websites,i found the yahoo group but my post never,ever showed up,then i found dogster,and that is why you will see me asking a lot XD. I have been reading soo much and learning things i had no idea of. I am just learning to balance stuff...by checking they're poop,i know what went "wrong". i never calculate stuff,like,ideal weight of things like that,if they start to feel pudgy,less food,if they seem skinny,more food. I also feed at least one of the meals,heavy enough to fill them. today my pup rejected the afternoon meal,that means he was either still full,or,will =stop to need 3 meals per day(yay!).

And they*specially terry* are full of energy,playful,little balls of fur.

Edited by author Tue Apr 2, '13 9:40pm PST

[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 9:43pm PST 
Crash here has been RAW feed 100% since he was 4 months old. He's 5 and I have not managed to kill him yet.
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 9:58pm PST 
It’s normal to second guess yourself when you’re first starting out, you’ll feel more confident as you go along. For me, not only did my dogs not die, they looked healthier than before!

Probably won’t be the last time you get that reaction, I don’t let it bother me, especially since it usually comes from someone who knows little about raw feeding and has no firsthand experience.

Sort of like Jake, I’ll sometimes ask them what they think dogs ate before commercial diets became the norm just within the last century, that usually makes them think for a bit, and I have yet to get a good answer back. I have a pretty cool little book on dog care from the 40’s that has diet plans and recommends feeding homemade cooked and raw foods, or combined commercial and home cooked/raw diets that I reference back to. Interestingly enough, these diet plans wouldn’t be considered ‘complete’ by our standards now, but obviously they must have worked.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3