GO!

Those pesky organs

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 7:12am PST 
So lately the store hasn't been carrying sweetbreads or kidney. It's been at least a couple months since I've fed any.
(Which reminds me...I should start weighing things again...been guessing. And it seems to work fine, but it makes me a little nervous.)

Are there any other organs typically available at a grocery store that I could feed? Alternatives?
There's a meat store in the area, but from what I've seen the only organs they sell are liver. I might be able to ask them to order something, though.

Maybe if I need to I could start ordering organs online...but wouldn't the shipping be through the roof? I don't get much income.
[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 7:24am PST 
The whole chickens usually have the giblets in a bag stuffed inside the chicken. That would have the liver in it, so at least your dog is getting those.

Also, you can call your local meat shop and order organs from them. My local meat shop doesn't normally carry organs but they'll order it if you buy the case. Chicken/Beef Liver and kidneys come in 15lb cases.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 9:04am PST 
That isn't good. We had a dogster stop feeding raw as the dogs' conditions went down when they couldn't source that pesky kidney. You could analyze the diet and supplement with whatever is missing like I do with Max. He always needs more manganese, magnesium, zinc and vitamin E than he gets with a basic prey model diet so he gets a mineral supplement, tiny bit of zinc and vitamin E capsule on occasion.

If you cannot find kidney I doubt heads are around either. That would be a lot of chicken thighs to add up to enough kidney. What about feeding whole rats or mice that are sold frozen at the pet store? This link might help you figure out if spending the big bucks on them is worth it.
http://web.archive.org/web/20061016171802/www.serve.com/BatonRo uge/nutrition/tissue_percentage_of_common_prey.htm
[notify]

Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 7:25pm PST 
Have u tried a WalMart that has the food section, for my anatomy And physiology class at vet tech school my teacher got kidneys brains and livers from WalMart.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 2:39am PST 
Brains are no good really, they are mostly fat. Kidney is the way to go here. Lamb's fry is a popular dish, so that's the protein you are most likely to find at a butcher.

I supplement with kibble when I can't get organs, but cut out the bone because of calcium. So I feed just beef and kibbles a while.
[notify]
Kahirah, Ch.

What can I get- into now?

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 3:41am PST 
Do you have an Asian store near you, thats where I get my Kidneys from.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 9:16pm PST 
Depending on your location. I suggest looking for an asian/hispanic/middle eastern ethinic type market. That's where i get all Jake and Caroline's heart/kidney/liver/sweetbreads and odd parts at.

If you can't find organs i suggest putting some kibble in there food. At the moment i'm feeding one dog 1/2 dehydrated raw and half raw and the other 1/2 kibble and 1/2 raw.

We are also hurting for cash at the moment.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 10:18am PST 
Went to the meat store today. They had pork brains. I'll feed them tonight with some chicken, which I'll cut the fat off of.
I used to feed brains as organs all the time when I first started raw, but the grocery store stopped selling them a couple years ago.

I don't have the freezer space to ask the meat store to order an entire case of sweetbreads, unfortunately. =/

When I have a little more money in my checking account, I want to order a beef organ mix or beef spleen from MPC.

Frozen mice are an option--and a very cheap one. But the last couple of times I bought some, getting Treader to eat them was like pulling teeth.

Edited by author Fri Apr 5, '13 10:29am PST

[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 9:02am PST 
My grocery store sells chicken livers so Hank gets that there but then their is an Asian market that my mom and I go to for kidneys....
[notify]