GO!

Best ways to gain healthy weight??

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Hotspur

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 10:24pm PST 
I've lost some weight, and my rib bones are VERY prominent. My mom thinks I might be because we spend a lot of time outside, and it's been pretty cold lately, so mom thinks that might be why I can't keep my weight up. The vet got a little sassy, and tried to get Mom to feed me kibble again.

We've read that pork is fatty, and I currently eat a lot of chicken (leg and thigh quarters, livers) and some beef (necks and oxtail).

What can mom add to my diet to help me gain weight??
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 10:28pm PST 
you might just need to feed more meat. (muscle)

When i first calculated jake's minimum requirements at 2.5% he only needed about 10oz of meat a day to be okay.

My beagle eats a minimum 16 oz of meat a day assuming he's just been sitting at home. If we've been out it can be almost 24oz. If i don't feed at least 16oz a day he'll get emaciated skinny in about 2-4 days.

Pork is a fatty meat because pigs are full of fat. They retain a lot of water too. If you want to bulk your dog up move up a presentage in your calculation.

Jake eats anywhere from 3-4% of his body weight to say at a constant 28-30lbs.

My newest edition Sweet Caroline is drastically underweight do to poor oral health. At the moment she's eating dehydrated raw and i'm feeding her almost twice the daily amount to put weight on her. (Though this is because she weighs about 35lbs and she should weight almost 45-50lbs. ) but we'll get this worked out once her mouth gets better.

Hope that helps.

Good luck. wishes
[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 9:48am PST 
Jake & Sweet Caroline is right. The feeding guidelines (whether it be commercial food or home-prepared food or raw food or any other type of food) is just that - Guideline. This is the starting point. Then, depending on how you're dog is doing, you either increase or decrease the amount of food.

Of course, there are other reasons why a dog loses weight - parasites, for one. So, the first step is to get a vet well-check to make sure your dog does not have any underlying issues. Then, depending on his weight compared to his ideal weight, you increase or decrease the amount of food to keep him at his ideal weight.

Supplementing high-fat or high-carb stuff to get him to gain weight is not a good way to do that. It puts undue strain to his digestive system. Gradually increasing the amount of food keeping the nutritional ratio is better.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 10:16am PST 
I wonder if skinny raw fed dogs would benefit from red meat because they are richer in minerals? Mostly chicken isn't a very good diet and if I fed such I would provide some sort of supplement containing whatever is missing.

I have a huge aquarium full of live plants and if those plants are missing any of a number of nutrients they won't grow properly. They get positively fat when fed right - light, carbon, nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium and a multitude of minor minerals.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 10:44am PST 
That's possible Max. When i first fed jake it was almost all chicken. NOw i feed chicken with a lot of red meats for boneless. But chicken for me is cheap. Though when i can get a nice roast on sale i cut it up and make it last a while. Put i also have a powder suppliment i give my dog now dogs too.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 2:24pm PST 
That sounds great. Somebody on the home cooking forum is looking for something to complete the diet properly if you want to share.

I am going to get a multimineral supplement for Max to see if he is even better than on green tripe which might have the missing manganese and magnesium.

Of course all dogs are different. Max only gets about 1.5% of his healthy weight and there was a tiny dogster that needed 10%!
[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 11:52pm PST 
Any type of PMR diet - whether chicken heavy or mixed white/red - is not complete without the nutrients gleaned from the organs.

Therefore, feeding Whole Chicken - including all the innards, the feet, the head - is more nutritious for a dog than feeding just beef RMBs.

It is ok to have a chicken-based diet but it is advisable that it does not exceed half of the total diet. Basically, any protein source, whether chicken or beef or pork, etc., is better if it does not exceed half of the total diet. The total diet is, of course, not determined on a daily basis but within a period of time - like a week or two weeks...
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Thu Mar 14, '13 9:54am PST 
Good info Bullie!

I usually feed primarily chicken meat with other animal organs. Beef organs tend to be m favorite and tey're cheaper then lamb organs.

I often wonder if jake's diet is really balanced but messing with Nutrition Data website tends to give me a headache.
[notify]