GO!

My topic disappeared * Update on Caroline's Teeth issues*

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 8:09pm PST 
Thank you to everyone who responded to me asking about Sweet Caroline's teeth.

I don't remember who said it now because I can't go back and read my post. But i thank you for recommending the vet.

I went to a different banfield. It seems the one i had selected sucks.

The vet that saw me today is now our regular vet. She took one look in Caroline's mouth and asked why i was waiting 3 weeks to have it looked out. She pushed us through to tomorrow. Caroline is also being evaluated for a heart murmur prior to her dental tomorrow. So thank you to whom ever that was. You've saved me some greif and at least my girl will get to have pain medicine and antibiotics now.

As for the food. i asked about it in the Dog Food I picked a dehydrated food called "I and Love and You" I fed it tonight and she ate with a vigor since all she has to do is lick it pretty much.

Jake got a little too so he wouldn't get jealous along with his usual chicken thigh and liver. I'm debating just keeping her on this dog food though since it's pretty well priced in my area and i think it will be easier on her.

We shall have to wait and see.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 11:12pm PST 
Congrats on the adoption! Such a perfect name for a hound!!

I read your previous thread and am really glad that you are able to get her in so soon. cheer She will feel soooo much better!

If the food you found for her is a complete one rather than one just for supplemental feeding, then I'd stick with it, especially if she is happy to eat it.

Good luck tomorrow! smile
Both of my cats have been through multiple dentals (as seniors) and did just fine. The recovery can be a little tough because they are really sore and swollen (especially if there are multiple extractions and lots of stitches), but it's so worth it for their long-term health. For my two, it took about 2 weeks or so for stitches to dissolve and about two months before the gums were completely healed (no redness at all). They were back to eating boneless minced raw within days of the dental.

Do ask for liquid meds...pilling a creature with a very sore mouth is really stressful on everyone involved.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 2:28pm PST 
Thanks Rexy.

She's been a great addition even at the extra costs.

She had 2 inscisors extracted do to pulp showing and had to have some extra gum cut away.

I feel bad since who ever had her before obviously didni't do much prevention with her.

I'm probably going to put her on a minced/ground meat diet with bone meal or something like that.

But thanks for the encouraging words about your cats. It made me feel much better. And she did just fine apparently. I won't get to see them till 6 tonight.
[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 8:42pm PST 
I'm glad I could make you feel a bit better!

Both cats had multiple extractions due to stomatitis, severe gingivitis and overall yucky teeth -- other than canines and incisors they are both essentially toothless -- and they loooove their ground and minced raw and will counter surf for it. smile

The nasty breath went away immediately after the dentals and it didn't take long for them to be back to normal.

Hope Sweet Caroline is feeling okay and is resting comfortably tonight!
[notify]