GO!

Veggies/Fruit

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barbaro

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 5:33pm PST 
I just started doing a pureed veggie/fruit mix in with Barbaro's food to make up for what he lacks because he can't have any kind of organ meat due to the high purine levels. Does anyone else do this? I still give him 1 and 1/2 pounds of meats normally chicken and turkey. Any suggestions??
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 6:36pm PST 
I don't think raw fruits and vegetables have many calories so I would guess u r probably fine to feed the same amount or just a little bit less. When I switched to raw and any other time I've switched sandys food I weigh him once a week to make sure he us not gaining or losing weight.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 8:18pm PST 
Suggestions on fruits and veggies to give? I'm not sure since I don't give it a lot..

Saya likes cooked broccoli, Brussels sprout, zucchini, and collard greens, yellow squash, sweet potatoes..

She also likes banana, peach, pears, mango, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries.

Nutrient data is nice for looking up nutrients in meat, veggies and fruit. Coarse it doesn't have nutrients that is in bone.. :

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Not sure what is best to give.. I mainly just give tiny bit if I make above Saya likes.

The Yellow squash and zucchini comes from my own garden.. I have so much enough for me to make for myself and couple extra for the dogs.. They like it grilled.

Sorry not much help. :

Honest kitchen also has fruit and veggies in it Saya gets it once in while as snack or small meal.
[notify]

Barbaro

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 8:52am PST 
Thanks for the ideas guys. He did loose a little when wee first switch but is going better now. I'm going to checkout that website.
[notify]
Charlie

Turd Burglar

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 2:24pm PST 
This is from http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/vegetables/

"Types of Vegetables:
For feeding dogs, I will divide vegetables into two categories. These will be starchy and non-starchy vegetables. They are also called high glycemic (sugars) and low glycemic. For dogs, we generally like to stick to the non starchy varieties. High sugar vegetables can cause weight gain, gas, yeast problems and larger stool volume.

Low Glycemic Vegetables Include:
Dark leafy greens
Summer squash (such as zucchini and yellow crook neck)
Broccoli
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Brussels Sprouts
Green Beans
Cucumber
Celery

High Glycemic Vegetables Include:
Carrots
Winter Squash (hard rind squashes)
Green Peas
Potatoes (very high)
Parsnips
Rutabagas
Corn
Beets
Sweet Potatoes (moderate)"
[notify]
Sita CGC- SD(mostly- retired)

When we seeing- the ponies?!

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 2:38pm PST 
OK, this is gonna sound gross, but my dogs totally dig it!! I puree spinach, green beans, asparagus, bananas, tomatoes, blueberries or cranberries. My girls LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I also do pumpkin, but usually not in the puree. They love sweet potatoes and yellow squash (but they don't get that very often, mostly just due to me not being able to get it very often).
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Thu Mar 14, '13 12:07pm PST 
I do give a small amount of veggies/fruits on a supplemental basis, but I’m not sure how to go about balancing a diet with veggies/fruits instead of organs.

Have you looked into something like The Honest Kitchen or Sojos? Or you may find this book helpful. She recommends feeding a supplemented BARF style diet.

There was another raw-feeding Dalmatian owner on here, I haven’t seen them around in a while, but you might try sending them a PM. Here’s their profile.
[notify]