GO!

Weight Loss

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barbaro

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 6:13am PST 
So Barbaro has been on the raw diet now for a week and a half. I feed him about a pound and a half which is a little more than what he should get. But he was on the skinny side to start. I can see that he is still loosing more weight. Should I increase his food? And his stool still isn't normal but it is improving. shrug
[notify]

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 10:44am PST 
Did you take him to the vet yet to eliminate possible causes of weight loss such as parasites/worms, etc.?

How is his activity level? And what's your recipe look like? We'll see if there's anything we can point to that you can change before you increase his food intake.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 3:29pm PST 
Hi Barbaro! Don't be discouraged.

Jake is about 30lbs but he eats almost 1-1.5lbs a day which is more than 3% of his body weight apparently. If he doesn't eat at least 16oz of meat a day excluding organs then he'll start to get super skinny. Feeding is kinda on a know your dog basis. If he's still actually loosing weight. as in you're putting him a scale and weighting him weekly then i'd consider adding some cooked fat or in general more fat to the meat + feed more meat. It took jake a while to get back to a "normal" weight when he was put on raw the first time. But now i know it's about 1-1.5lbs of meat a day which is a lot for a little dog. For teh first month Jake was on raw we visited petsmart banfield just to use the scale to make sure he was acutually a healthy weight big grin

As for the poops. I only feed bone in meat until it kind if consitpated jake. the first time. Now we have a rhytm of bone heavy meat like chicken quarter or thigh then boneless meats for a day with organs then a bony meat again and then again with the bonelesss.

Also since you're just starting raw make sure to only use 1 protein (we started with chicken) and then move from there. ONce you get that famous no smell poop you're good to go with a new protein. I waited until jake could eat Chicken and beef without fail before introducing organs. The organs i used in the beginning was chicken gizzards with heart you can get at the grocery store. Once he could eat that with good poop came the beef liver and then once that was beatuiful again we put other odds and ends organs like tongue and kidney when i could find them. Thankfully now i live near an ethnic market with loads of crazy animal parts. And I finally got the courage to order green tripe now that jake's been primarily on raw with kibble for the sitter as back up for a year and a half.

Good luck. It will get better. big grin
[notify]

Barbaro

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 5:55am PST 
Yes I have taken him to the vet and he was negative for all parasites and there was no reason other than the change in diet that we found to be causing it. I would like to say he did have a very nice poop last night. He has been getting mainly chicken. I just starting putting in a little turkey. I have to be careful with his medical issues that he doesn't get a lot of purine so he can't have red meat. So he gets a chicken quarter and then ground chicken and turkey. All comes to a pound and a half in total. He also can't have organs a they are high in purine so I am going to start adding in a pureed veggie mix once I know the diarrhea is gone.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 10:13am PST 
Ah, i looked up low purine foods.

The fruit and veggies sounds like a great idea. THey will also act as a good filler. Pasta was something else that came up if your dog doesn't have an issue with gluten. Or you could add low-fat dairy.

If weight loss persists you're going to need to add more food for him to eat. I guess.

hopefully someone with more experience with that type of diet can help you out. wishes
[notify]