GO!

Smelt me!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 12:10am PST 
Hi I need some info on smelt. The market i shop at sells smelt in 2lb bags for like 1.50 a lb. It comes frozen. I wanted to know if it is safe to feed smelt raw as it's a fish. Or should i just cook it and blend it like i do sardines?

Thanks.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 6:00am PST 
I have given it to my dogs as a snack. I usually just give them a frozen bit and let them play with it for a while.

They like fish, but I don't often give them totally fish meals, but supplement what they get with a little fish from time to time.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 8:41am PST 
Yes you can! That's cheaper than the smelt I'm able to find. Don't go crazy though, just get a little bit to try because if your dog doesn't like it then you're stuck with a bunch of little smelt.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 10:45am PST 
Saya and Bella loves smelt I try to always have a bag in the freeze to give as snack or small meal.

Saya and Bella eats them frozen or thawed, but frozen are nice for summer fishcicle..

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-produc ts/4125/2
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 11:19pm PST 
Thanks for all your replies. Jake was successfully "smelted" big grin he loves them. He gets some fish when he gets his bone in meats. Since chicken legs are mostly bone. it helps make up that missing muscle meat amount.

THanks again big grin
[notify]