GO!

Chipped canine tooth :(

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 12:14pm PST 
Dang, I just noticed this morning that Duke has a chip at the tip of his canine tooth. cry I'll call the vet tomorrow to get it looked at.

In the meantime, has anyone ever had this happen? What do you feed for bone with a chipped tooth?

Duke is 90 lbs, so he generally gets bigger bone. He does not get rec bones, but I did recently order some of the MPC "young beef" that is supposedly very soft bone since it comes from calves. That is the only different kind of bone he has had in recent months, so I tend to suspect it's the source of the chip.

This is really a bummer! I'm not sure now what is "safe" bone to feed him. And the vet will place all blame on his diet. confused
[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 12:31pm PST 
I'd look for a holistic vet in your area and go there. The closest one to me was 2 hours away but I went to ask about raw food. My vet isn't anti-raw but he recommended seeing someone more informed about it. You can just google holistic vets near and then whatever city u live in. Most vets only know what royal canine and science diet tell them, and that vet food almost killed my dog .
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 1:31pm PST 
Duke actually has two holistic vets; he gets regular acupuncture, chiro, tui na massage, and Chinese herbs. They don't treat conditions like a chipped tooth.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 2:01pm PST 
Sorry I just meant ask the holistic vet about what bones are safe. You'll have to go to a regular vet about the tooth.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 10:48pm PST 
Two of my dogs have broken teeth. Juneau completely smashed her upper left carnassial on... something... It was so badly broken that the pulp was exposed in three places and she was in obvious discomfort. She would refuse to chew on that side, would pick at her food, paw at her mouth, rub the left side of her face on the floor, and panted frequently with a tight expression. We had the tooth removed and she went back to normal once she recovered from the surgery.

Sasha has broken both upper carnassials, on beef ribs and an antler, both of which I no longer give. The left was just chipped at first, no pulp exposed, just a small flake. Then the other broke and exposed the pulp a bit, then the chipped tooth chipped again and also exposed the pulp. However, in Sasha's case, neither tooth is causing her any discomfort, are not rotting, she does not paw or rub, chews vigorously on both sides of her mouth, and the teeth have not turned any funky colors.
I have opted not to remove the teeth unless something; bad breath, nasty buildup, lack of chewing, pawing her mouth, etc. occurs. Some people would not agree with what I am doing, but at this moment, I really absolutely cannot afford to get them removed. Once I can though, I will gladly get it done despite her not being affected whatsoever. Until then, I continue to feed her various raw meaty bones (she and Juneau are working through a baby calf, maybe two weeks old, at this moment) and brush her carnassials every night. Her teeth are otherwise in fabulous condition.

Anywho, if the tooth is not badly broken and is not causing Duke any discomfort or pain, I would leave it for now. If it develops any sort anything then I'd get it removed.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 9:06am PST 
Mags has chipped canines that don't interfere with eating at all, she is also missing a premolar and one of those tiny teeth in front on the bottom (vocabulary shrinks before coffee lol!). Hers were broken in crate escapes 5 or so years ago and as long as they don't seem to cause discomfort I don't fret too much. I do watch for tarter buildup, but have yet to have come across anything that the Petzlife spray can't tackle.

Porter also has a chipped canine - probably from his accident 3+ years ago...but it doesn't affect hoc eating.

But yeah, keep am eye out and watch for discomfort. Also watch chewing and eating to see if it something that is poor eating style related, although I have seen dogs chip canines playing ball and with each other.
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 5:09pm PST 
Thanks for the feedback!

I have noticed that Duke has been really leery of bigger cuts of meat and bone for the last week or two. Sometimes he is picky, so I thought it was just that, but now I think it's the tooth bothering him.

I'm going to have it checked out on Monday, just in case. I can see down to a second "layer" of tooth, so I'm not sure if that is pulp or not.

Good to know raw-fed dogs can still eat with a few teeth missing! I've been feeding ground/cut up meat and supplementing with seaweed calcium all week just until I know what is actually going on.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 9:19pm PST 
Yeah, Juneau's missing carnassial doesn't affect her negatively at all. I imagine it'll be the same once Sasha's get done as well, especially since she's the more aggressive chewer of the two.

This was when Sasha flaked her tooth: clicky link
There is no pulp exposed, but a few "layers" can be seen. Pulp will show up as a reddish brown spot in the center of the canine, if it is visible. Still, even if pulp is not showing the tooth can be sensitive.
Google "dog broken tooth" in the image section to see more.

I myself have a broken tooth (and look like a hillbilly thanks to it) but it does not bug me. I used to have a cap on it but it came off last year. I'm not going to get it fixed again unless it starts to bother me. So I know from first-hand experience that a broken tooth can be completely pain-free. My sister on the other hand had a similar break that was very painful and had to be repaired.
(Funny how that correlates to my two dogs: Sisters with similar breaks, totally different perceptions of discomfort.)

Edited by author Tue Feb 19, '13 9:21pm PST

[notify]