GO!

Raw Diet...is this a good idea???

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 6:38pm PST 
Well don't use chicken necks if you go with this recipe. Different parts of the bird have differing amounts of bone and with skinless necks I would be giving Max over 400% of his calcium and 350% of his phosphorus needs. Use quarters or even better whole birds which would drop the calcium down to more like 250% requirement. Not sure why wheat germ is so important to the recipe and it does contain gluten so don't use it. The diet doesn't have a good supply of omega 3, iron, zinc, copper or even vitamin B12.

How about grinding 2.5 pounds of chicken necks, 10 pounds of beef/pork/lamb, 12 ounces of beef liver and 12 of kidney, 1 pound of fish [salmon/mackerel/sardine/anchovy/smelt/herring] together? That would feed 38 pound Max for over 2 weeks, might feed an EBD for over a week.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 11:22pm PST 
A dog with a yeast problem is a perfect candidate for PMR. It is super super easy too, if you're looking for that. Any fruit or veggies or grain or corn is excellent nutrition for the yeast more so than the dog.

Grinding meat is for the emotional comfort of the human, not for the dog. Once you experience a few days of watching your dog chomp on a chicken quarter... Including the do-overs (dog chomps on meaty bones, swallows, realizes he didn't chomp on it good enough so he hacks it back out and chomps on it some more... it's scary to watch at first but I got used to that after a couple incidents)... you'll throw out your grinder. But yes, there are those who can't handle that risk, so they just grind everything up, which is just fine if you don't mind doing that work.

Here's a sample of a PMR "recipe" for a week for a 60 lb active dog (target at 1.5-2 lbs a day) who has been on PMR for a while.
Day 1 - 1/3 of a whole chicken (usually doesn't come with innards if bought from the grocery), around 1.5-2 lbs
Day 2 - 1 lb ground beef(cheaper) or beef chunks and 8 oz beef heart (heart is cheaper than ground beef), 4 oz beef liver
Day 3 - 1 lb boneless pork chops, 8 oz chicken gizzards (cheaper than pork chops), 4 oz beef kidney
Day 4 - gorge on a 3lb whole rabbit carcass.
Day 5 - fast
Day 6 - 1.5 lb fish (some dogs do better with fish after a fast), one whole egg (including eggshell)
Day 7 - 1.5 lb turkey breast with bone, 2 oz green tripe, 2 oz liver

Rinse, lather, repeat.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 11:37pm PST 
P.S. you're the guy from Colorado Springs, right? As far as sources for meat - you can get most of the meat I mentioned above from the Super Walmart (watch out for sales). For the rabbit, you can get them from rodentpro.com. I would also check out Andy's Meat Market on Platte Avenue and talk to the owner about getting organs and trimmings. They're probably going to be cheaper than Walmart. Walmart sells beef liver for $2.19/lb that I can buy from the butcher for 99 cents a pound.
[notify]

Mountain

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 12:33am PST 
Awesome info!!! Thank you so much. I'm getting alot of conflicting information so I was confused and rethinking everything. You gave me everything that I needed to stay hopeful. I'll definitely try that out.

Yea, I'm in springs. I'll have to check out Walmart and call Andy's. Do you know of any wholesale places locally? Are you in springs?
[notify]
Mountain

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 1:43am PST 
Have you looked at, bought from, heard of Ranch Foods Direct? I found them online and contacted then to see how much they cost for the meat. How much of this recipe do you make up at a single time? I'm thinking about buying enough to do 2-4 weeks worth at a time a freezing them.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 9:40pm PST 
I'm not in Colorado Springs but I used to have friends that live close to Greenwood Village (about 45 minutes north of Colorado Springs). Speaking of Greenwood Village - they have a Restaurant Depot over there. They sell wholesale stuff - they supply restaurants basically. Just a few weeks ago, they sold whole quartered chicken for 69 cents a pound in their location in Florida and they had $1.99/lb ground beef. They also sell half a lamb there - I mean, it's literally one lamb cut in half from head to butt so it's quite tricky to fit in your car. The only thing is, you kinda have to know somebody who has a business license or runs a Charity because you have to be a business/charity to get a membership. I got my membership from my friend who owns her own Hair Salon.
[notify]
Presley- Dillon

People should- pet me more!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 7:12pm PST 
If after reading everyones posts about PMR feeding you are still not convinced & are hell bent on grinding up a raw recipe (full of Sh*% that your dog doesn't need & can't properly digest) for your pup then let me know & I will gladly sell you my Weston Commercial grade grinder (it's the best grinder on the market bar-none). I paid over $700 for it 8 months ago because I couldn't get my big fat head out of my rearend long enough to listen to the sound advice that everyone was so nice to give me, and so I bought it, and if you buy it from me you will use it for a bit (just like I did) and then sooner or later you will realize how unnecessary it is & then you will offer to sell it to the next newby that comes along just like I'm offering to sell it to you.
I will be happy to sell you my grinder (it's practically brand new) for $200 less than I paid for it, but I will be even happier if you decide to feed your dog the PMR diet that it deserves instead.... let me know
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2