GO!

Ways To Improve Energy?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 10:56pm PST 
Hello again,

I'm wondering about ways to improve Bella's energy on raw, as with kibble she seems to have more energy which I want her to have. I don't know what could be causing the decrease in energy (If someone could tell me?) I don't know if it could be that she is allergic to beef, as on raw she had a lot of that, but on kibble it was only chicken and fish...

Anyway, are there any supplements or things like that which I could add for more energy? Also, are these safe to add to her diet? I want to make sure she's getting everything she needs:

http://www.wysong.net/products/wildthings-dog-cat-supplement.php

http://www.wysong.net/products/cotw-dog-cat-supplement.php
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 9:03am PST 
Max was more nervous on kibble and without carbs he stopped a lot of his nervous checking up on the world pacing and barking. Not all, alas. If I wanted him to start up again I suspect I could ask him to 'go see' and 'what's that' then reward his vigilance and he would be patrolling again in no time. He doesn't need to be chewing on stuff all the time either and seems to regulate his energy by asking to play if his walks weren't long enough. He has been asking to go for walks and been fine going for longer ones with people other than his 'mommy' too.

Unless she hasn't energy to exercise the way she did before I don't know that there is a problem. You certainly could try giving a tiny amount of veggies to see if she likes it, it agrees with her and you like the result. Try different ones from leafy to starchy to see what suits you both.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 9:04am PST 
Can you elaborate on what you mean by more energy? I think this can mean different things for different people.

Some dogs are more "hyper" on kibble because of the carbs, basically they would get carb energy boosts (and subsequent crashes). Some of the lower end kibbles contain a lot of sugar too. So then when they switch to raw, which "burns" more "evenly" so they are a bit calmer, or more even-keeled. This also explains how some people have more luck doing behavior mod and getting focus from their dog after they switch to raw.

But if this could be described as downright lethargy, I would look at a breakdown of what you're feeding to see if there are any large nutritional holes that could be affecting this.
[notify]

Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 1:15pm PST 
Just a lack of the "Oh, oh, let's run and play and jump, and oh, a butterfly, of what's over there, run, run run" Sort on energy. In my opinion, I don't like her having so much energy/being so hyper, however my Mother claims that she likes her more when she's "Not sleeping as much" To that I respond in my head with 'Well you don't have to deal with it 24/7 laugh out loud On raw I fell she has the perfect amount of energy. When it was time to run around and play, she had perfect energy, but when it was time to be serious and work (When going out in public) or when I was just doing stuff on the computer, she would be calm.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 6:48pm PST 
Sounds like you don't have a problem. But, if you truly have a lethargic dog, it could be that he's not getting enough calories so you can try gradually increasing his food intake.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 10:58pm PST 
True, you don't actually seem to have a problem with your dog's energy after all. Your mother just isn't used to seeing Bellatrix that calm hence her reaction. But you don't have to worry as there is practically nothing to worry about.

But if your dog truly is lethargic, you should keep an eye out for the symptoms. Lethargy may be a sign of so much energy being expended in fighting an infection in the dog's body with little energy left to do other activities.
[notify]