GO!

Take two: How about this recipe?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Ember

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 11:48pm PST 
After further research, I realize how off base my diet attempt was. So here is round two. Math is not my strong point so please point out where I am straying or if I made a terrible error. This is an attempt to make a diet that both my dogs and cat can share and be healthy on. It will be ground to a consistency similar to pre-made raw for the cat.

Assuming every chicken leg quarter (30% bone)is 1lb I will add:
1lb of boneless meat (beef, chicken, lamb, turkey, etc)
2oz of liver (beef or chicken)

That would put my ratios at about 15% bone, 6% organ, and 79% meat. Not the ideal 10/10/80, however, not every chicken leg quarter will be that 1lb either. Most will probably be a little less, but I will assume they are that 1lb and still add an additional 1lb of boneless meat. Also, my dogs tend to get loose stool with less than a little extra bone.

I will also be adding some sardine and eggs (no shells), but not in a large quantity. For every 20lbs of the above mixture I will add probably 6 eggs and one tin of sardines (no salt added).

Additionally I will try to source another organ so I can boost that 6% number further while hopefully not causing squirts. Does green tripe count as an organ?

For every three pounds of meat (bone/skin/etc) I will also add (mostly for the sake of the cat!):

3000 mg fish oil

400 IU (268 mg) Vitamin E

50 mg Vitamin B-complex

2,000 mg taurine (the dogs will not have a problem excreting extra safely)

3/4 tsp Morton Lite salt with iodine

Thank you for taking the time to read and evaluate this and offer your input.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 12:31pm PST 
"3/4 tsp Morton Lite salt with iodine"

Why add salt?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 1:59pm PST 
Are you adding the taurine as you feed? I don't think it would last well mixed in and frozen. Some dogs are known to suffer seizures due to low taurine levels. Not just cats that need the stuff! Ground food is naturally low in taurine even if the whole meat was rich in it. There was a study on raw feeding cats whole ground rabbit that was terminated because a cat became seriously ill due to taurine deficiency.

I would use salt substitute instead of lite salt for Max if potassium was low as he gets plenty of sodium from his meats. Do cats need more sodium than dogs?

Seems a reasonable recipe to me though. And your other recipe wasn't a disaster, just could be better.
[notify]

Ember

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 3:14pm PST 
Looked up more stuff on the taurine. It seems as though yes, grinding it does pretty much destroy taurine, but freezing shouldn't be a problem. Someone tested whole mice (who had been frozen for 3 months) and the taurine levels were unchanged. There was also some mention of maybe being some actual studies on freezing taurine, but I couldn't find them. I could easily add more though, as they can easily excrete it if I give too much. It's not like Vitamin E...

The lite salt contains half the sodium that regular table salt has, but my main reason for including it is for the iodine. There isn't much iodine in the rest of the diet, except for the egg yolks and the sardines. Otherwise, I am not sure what to add for iodine, as kelp is unpredictable as well as indigestible by cats. And I can't add any more sardines, as mercury could be a problem and it is generally not advised to feed a lot of fish to cats.

The previous one would have probably been fine if I was feeding chicken thighs (15% bone) that is actually called for on the catinfo.com diet instead of the chicken leg quarters (30% bone) I have been using.

Edited by author Wed Feb 13, '13 3:15pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 9:15am PST 
It would have been mostly chicken and very low in iron and zinc though. Good catch though.

Figured you wanted the iodine in the salt. It is seriously annoying that it is so difficult to figure how much iodine a diet contains. It is so important to get the right amount with serious consequences if there is too much or not enough.
[notify]
Ember

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 10:40am PST 
I was also worried about the cat eating red meats, but after a post over on Catster I am not worried about giving him just as much variety as I give the dogs! The only thing I have to worry about is giving too much fish to the cat.

I am, unfortunately, all too aware of the effects of not enough or too much iodine as I am a 4 year thyroid cancer survivor (not directly related to iodine, but I still know a thing or two about human thyroid health). Of course now iodine doesn't really do anything for me considering I don't have a thyroid. shrug
[notify]