GO!

Raw for New Puppy

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 1:51pm PST 
Hi, I'm getting a puppy in about 7 weeks so I thought I'd start freaking out about this now. big grin It's a Mini Poodle if that helps size wise about things. I feed pre-made patties.

1. Is it 3-5% of the puppy's current weight or expected weight?

2. How many meals do you split that into?

3. The brand I use recommend "As far as puppies go higher fat proteins such as our chicken patties and necks are a great base along with three other proteins and fish oil." How are you supposed to feed that? Right now Jewel eats a sleeve of patties of one meat source then I switch her to another but will that mess up a puppy?

4. Would I be better off to feed my puppy Orijen & RMBs for the first few months then move her to raw?

5. At what age do I start RMBs? I use mostly chicken wings and turkey necks.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 4:40pm PST 
congrats on your new puppy!

1. 2-3% of adult weight

2. As many as you feel comfortable, most people feed puppies at least 3 times a day I think, whether it's raw or kibble. But I'm not sure since I don't have a puppy anymore.

3. You can feed many different proteins, it's good to feed a variety of proteins. Also try to feed mostly red meat as opposed to mostly chicken. I think chicken is lacking compared to red meat.

4. No, puppies can go straight to raw when weaning from mom's milk. and even dogs who are already eating kibble will switch to raw cold turkey.

5. Start RMBs right away! chicken necks are great, so are wings, turkey neck may be too big for a little puppy. Also, chicken feet. Don't forget that even though they are small, puppies love to chew, they will be teething and will enjoy a RMB.

Question for you though, what brand are you using? Do you know what the amount of each ingredient is? Some lesser known raw dog food brands will have iffy balancing, like they will say they contain 10% organ meats, but include heart and gizzards in the organ list.. which they are not. You have to make sure it is 5% liver and also not something crazy like 50% bone!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 4:56pm PST 
Prey model raw is 2-3% of expected adult weight, or up until around four months you can feed 10% of current weight, but I'm not sure it always translates the same for pre-mades. Don't those usually have feeding guidelines on the bag/box? The frozen and freeze dried raw products I've bought for the pet sitter to feed have had feeding recommendations on them, including for puppies.

Most people do three meals a day until six months, then switch to two until the dog is grown (or feed two for life if you prefer). I actually started with two a day, then switched to once a day at six months, but I believe smaller breeds are often fed more than once a day.

Balance over time is the goal, so I'd say it depends on how long it takes to go through each protein. I like to feed something different every meal, but some people will feed one protein several meals in a row, especially if they got a big score of something. Like Cookie said, red meat is more nutrient rich than chicken, so I probably wouldn't feed a puppy exclusivity chicken for too long.

I would go cold turkey straight to raw. As long as you're feeding a balanced raw diet, there's no reason to feed kibble unless you want to.

Raw meaty bones are wonderful with a puppy. Onyx would happily settle down for 45-60 minutes to work on a RMB and would tire himself out without any effort on my part. Any chicken bones, but also pig feet and ribs, are great. Even if they're a little big and not really edible for a puppy that small, as long as they hold the pup's interest, they're great for giving the human a break.

And to second Cookie again, do make sure you know how much bone is in the pre-made, especially if you're adding RMBs to it. Too much bone is not a good thing for a growing puppy, and some pre-mades are much higher in bone than they need to be.

ETA: Is Spring Meadows Natural Pet Food the pre-made you're using? I'm guessing that's where the 3-5% came from? That's not a range I've ever heard used in prey model raw (except for dogs that need more for than is the norm), which is why it's always a good idea to check the feeding guidelines provided by the company that makes the food. From what I'm seeing on their site, it's 3-5% of the puppy's current weight. They have a Feeding Calculator on their site.

Edited by author Mon Feb 11, '13 5:11pm PST

[notify]

Jewel, PCD

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 6:51am PST 
Yes that is the food Onxy. It's made in my province and is easy to get locally.

I believe they suggest chicken because of the high fat content and red meats aren't as high in fat? Could I do one meal a day chicken and the other two of a red meat? Jewel still gets two meals a day as she is only 9lbs fully grown and I prefer it that way.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 7:14am PST 
Yes you can def still feed chicken! Just as long as it's not all chicken. and if you're like me, you think the little guys need all the compact nutrition they can get, so feed red meat whenever possible. =)

My dog is also 8-9 lbs, she eats ~3 oz of raw a day. I only feed one meal now, I wanted to do two meals a day, but it was too much to handle. So she does fine on one meal. I do give her something to eat during the other part of the day, yogurt or a treat.

But still make sure you get the exact ingredients and their portions from the food company.. I couldn't find it on their website. I would email them and ask what the meat to bone to liver ratio is. Red meat has a lot of fat too, but since the food is being made by others, we don't know if they are using the fat or not. Chicken will by high in fat because of the skin. But they may have also recommended it because a lot of raw feeders start with chicken.. it's more mild I think.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 9:44am PST 
Okay this is the answer I got from them, very fast to answer their emails!

Approximately 70 % meat and tissue, 20% bone, 10% organs.

Is that good?
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 4:13pm PST 
Good they reply fast, then they probably don't mind answering your questions!
70 meat and 20 bone is not too bad, and pretty typical of store bought raw. considering prey model calls for 80 meat and 10 bone.

Ask them what they include as 10% organ... half of it should be liver and hearts and gizzards should not be listed. If they are, you might need to supplement every week or two with extra liver.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 5:01pm PST 
It says on their website that their grinds are made from the whole animal right? So you should be getting a pretty ideal balance of everything really.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 8:00am PST 
Yeah I'm fairly confident in the food/company as a friend of mine also feeds raw and she switched brands for a cheaper one and saw a decline in the condition of her dogs and has since switched back.

What I need to decide is what meats to start with and how much.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 8:46am PST 
With a puppy you can typically be a little more versatile more quickly than you can with a grown dog who needs to transition their body from processing kibble only -- IMO you could reasonably start with whatever protein source you preferred, especially since these are pre-balanced and all that.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2