GO!

started raw today!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 10:05am PST 
I have been thinking about switching my 11 year old sheltie over to raw because his teeth and gums look horrendous with the kibble. I was waiting til I got my puppy. Well, I got the 4 month old Akita puppy today and they both started raw together. The puppy has been playing with her food for 2 hours. I don't think she has eaten a bite of it yet. Bodie, my sheltie came back for thirds! I had to tell him no when he came back for a fourth time. He absolutely loved it! I was afraid that since he has been on kibble for 11 years that I would have problems with him. Surprise! He loves it. May just be too much change for the little one today. We will try again tomorrow. Surprise right as I am writing this I hear crunching coming from back porch. The puppy is crunching away on her raw lunch! Hooray! I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks and want to thank you all for the help!
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 4:47pm PST 
That's awesome!
Def. stick around to ask any questions.
I remember when I first started, it was so exciting. hehe
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 9:36pm PST 
A lot of times, it takes a while for a small dog to figure out how to tackle a hunk of meat. I have a 4-year-old bichon that took over half an hour just trying to figure out where to start chomping on his first day on raw. He would lick it and bite it to turn it over, lick it again, push it with his nose... The next day, he got the same food, and he was happily chomping away in less than a minute.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 11:14pm PST 
At least your pup has started eating raw. I'm glad to hear about it. Don't forget to limit treats during the transition, especially flour/grain based ones, in order to increase your dog’s appetite for its meals. Also, it’s best to start with one type of meat during your transition (preferably the same meat type you are currently feeding). This will make it easier on your dog’s digestive system. big grin
[notify]
Nyota

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 10:04am PST 
Still on mostly chicken, chicken organs, liver and now adding some turkey every now and then. I have found a raw supplier in the town I grew up in about 30 miles away. I can pick up an order when I go back to visit my daughter and grandbabies. Read all my puppy paperwork yesterday and realized that she is only 12 weeks old! She has been on raw now for a a little over a week and I don't give treats since I don't want her to get accustomed to me having them in my pocket. She weighs 38.10 lbs already. I don't want her mobbing me to get treats out of my pocket when she is the size of a horse! Have already corrected many bad behaviors picked up at the breeders. She has learned to sit, no jumping, off and we are working on the puppy mouthing thing because that really hurts! She also walked on a leash today to go to the vet to get lectured about feeding raw. See my other posts. Woohoo!
[notify]