GO!

FIsh: Twice a week too much?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Lacey

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 4:47pm PST 
Lacey LOVES fish (canned salmon, canned mackeral, and sardines in water). We have been feeding it to her twice each week. We rinse it first to remove the salt. Is fish twice a week too much? It is rotated with beef, beef hearts, pork, chicken, chicken hearts/gizzards, turkey, rabbit, tripe, and organ meat.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 5:51pm PST 
I think as long as she is handling it well, that doesn't sound like too much to me.

You should search around for some without salt though! it can be hard to find, but I even found canned salmon in water with no salt. ^^
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 8:02pm PST 
Depends on how much twice a week is. Does that mean two full days' worth of meals, or does it mean she just gets a bit of fish twice a week? The latter is fine, but I think the former would be too much. Fish is great for the omegas, but it's not as high in other vitamins and minerals.

I just ran Duke's diet through ND, and I over-fed fish a bit last week. Out of the ~270 oz he ate, 32 oz were fish. That's almost 12% of last week's diet and more than I should have ideally fed. We'll balance it out this week.
[notify]

Lacey

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 6:16am PST 
Thanks for the feedback. She eats twice a day. She gets fish for two of her 14 weekly meals. Duke--using your formula, it works out to be a little over 11% of her food volume.
[notify]