GO!

cut/sliced bone danger?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 3:08pm PST 
I watched people feeding there small dogs things like pork neck bones on youtube and I thought I ought to get some stuff like that for Cookie so she can get a better dental work out tearing the meat off, because chicken necks are too easy for her..
so I went and picked up some stuff, beef and pork neck bones and although Cookie has eaten meat off of bones which were cut up or sliced before without any problems.. I couldn't help but be reminded how sharp they can be when I was packing them up...
I wanted to know exactly how dangerous it is to let her eat stuff with bone that has been sawed? Is it super dangerous? or is it okay since she is small enough not to swallow the bones?

(ps. I also got a pink salmon for a good price.. I gave Cookie a scrap while I was cutting it up only to find out that she didn't want it! I made her eat it by putting cheese on it.. but still, she is so darn picky!!!)
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 5:32pm PST 
I'll feed cut bones as long as it's not sharp enough to slice my finger open. I see no reason not to, since when my dogs crunch up other "safe" bones there are usually sharp shards/edges on some of the bones. The bones digest well and never come out whole, so I don't think it's an issue either way.
If your dog doesn't digest bone very well, then I'd probably not feed them.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 9:41am PST 
I have always avoided bones with unnatural/butcher saw cuts. More of an issue of cutting on the inside of the mouth than digestive related. When I get pork necks I will only get big, meaty slabs, the little puny sharp-edged things at the store I pass on. Unfortunately one has to have an alternate source for those, as most grocery stores don't seem to sell them un-cut, which is crummy if you're looking to add cheap red meat with edible bone. I do wonder if you could put in a request with the grocer or butcher to set aside uncut portions for you at the next shipment, if that would fly.

Edited by author Mon Feb 11, '13 9:43am PST

[notify]