GO!

How many pounds of raw food do my giant breed puppies need?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 5:38pm PST 
Hey there dog lovers! This is my first ever post, and I've got an important question for all you raw feeders!

I have two giant breed mixes: A one year old female Akita/American Bulldog, and a ten month old Neapolitan Mastiff/Bernese Mountain dog. The Akita cross is seventy pounds (and has been for a while) and the Mastiff cross is a hundred and five (and still growing steadily).

I want to move them to a raw diet, and have read that growing pups need 10% of their body weight. I have also read that giant breed dogs have a much longer growth period than smaller dogs.

Does anyone have experience in this? As they are crosses, we don't know how big they'll get, or what their growth period is. From what I know, they should stop growing at about a year and a half, but will really thicken out with muscle until about two years old.

Any suggestions? I am thinking that my Akita cross could probably go with the adult amount of 3%, but I'd love some opinions for both my dogs. Thanks to all!
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 7:29pm PST 
The 10% is in regard to puppies under 4 months of age. Then at 4 months of age you double their current weight and feed 3% of that.

Since your pup is well past that age.. and he is 10 months old @ 105lb.. I would feed him 3% of 120lb.
Your dog that is a year, you could put her on at 2.5% and then add or lessen the amount depending on body condition.

It really depends on the dog. I know some that have to eat 4% of their body weight, where Nare (roughly 90lb) eats 1.5% to stay in good condition.

I have a 14 week old puppy (Arkane) that I feed 1.2lb, he is 25lb, that I will be raising up to 1.6lb in the next week because he is getting a little too skinny for my taste.
[notify]