GO!

diarrhea after switching to raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 8:33am PST 
I switched sandy to Stella and chewys raw about a week ago. I mixed with his old food as suggested and he had no tummmy upset. Yesterday sandy had diarrhea 3 times but seemed fine and still wanted to eat. I gave him propectin that anti diarrhea gel from the vet last night. And today I bought some probiotic powder to try putting in his food. I really want this raw thing to work out because sandy hates eating I always have to fight with him to eat and he really lives the Stella and chewys. Did anyone else have a similar experience? How long is it normal for him to have diarrhea while switching? Is it weird that he was fine the first several days but now he is having problems?
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 2:18pm PST 
How many days would it be normal for sandy to have the diarrhea? And has anyone else had this experience where there were several days of hard poop when u first switched then diarrhea?
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 4:47pm PST 
diarrhea is totally normal when trying to switch over to raw.. some dogs systems have to completely change the way they have been working on kibble.

how long have they been on just the raw?

when we first start raw prepared at home, we usually add in extra bone the first week to help firm up the poop. eventually only feeding the 10% or so that they need.
but the usual wait is a week I guess.. if the system doesn't go regular after a week or two, then try changing something.. like adding a probiotic.
Just be patient and also make sure to read ingredients. I think most prepackaged raw has many more ingredients in it than just meat, organ, and bone. so that could actually be harder on your dogs system.. too much new stuff at once.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 4:30am PST 
I started a probiotic and he hasn't pooped since the diarrhea yesterday morning so I'm hoping he is getting use to it. He sure does love it though and he always hated to eat before. We have been doing raw for a week. The first couple days he had hard tiny poops then he had the 2 days of diarrhea. I'm guessing its a good sign he hasn't pooped since then. At least I know he is not dehydrated.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 10:23am PST 
Try feeding less food to see if there is any improvement. If it helps it will help right away too then increase the feed if the dog gets skinny. Remember the feeding guide is just that, always feed to maintain good condition rather than what the bag tells you to do.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 12:51pm PST 
Good news to report. Sandy had a hard poop today!! Yay! He either got use to it or the probiotics helped. I'm going to continue to give the probiotics and reduce the amount of food for a week or so at least.
[notify]