GO!

bad reactions from chicken skin or something else?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 7:29am PST 
Is it possible for the dog to have bad reaction from chicken skin? but not the chicken meat?
I don't understand what the difference is as long as the dog is not getting too much fat.

Cookie woke up with sudden dandruff this morning... it really upset me because she had finally stopped her daily itching from what I assumed was the heater in the house... then this morning she woke up and scratched and scratched until her fur was sprinkled with dandruff.

grr! So I fed her a chicken neck with skin yesterday.
before that she had beef and chicken neck without most of the skin.

So do you think it's the chicken skin? or does that not make any sense? and it was a coincidence?
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 11:20am PST 
Chicken is chicken...I can't imagine skin would cause an allergic reaction if muscle meat does not. Extra fat could, of course, cause loose stool.

Any chance of flea exposure? Maybe try adding in a bit of coconut oil. It seems to help Duke's dry skin in the winter.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 4:22pm PST 
thank you for the response!
it must have just been a coincidence.
She hasn't itched since I've been home today. and her skin is not red or anything.
I've been trying to take extra good care of it since the dry skin issue. I rub safflower oil into her during a bath, it did help.
I guess she just had a random itchiness and the old dry skin cells came off.
[notify]

Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 6:33pm PST 
Sounds like a random case of the itchies. Glad Cookie is feeling better! blue dog
[notify]