GO!

Boney meal, but VERY runny poop... with grass

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 2:43pm PST 
My dog grazes ALL of the time. He looks for the greenest of green blades and eats the grass, sometimes he even stops on a walk just to get a nibble! A lot of the time, it looks like he is just chewing on it, but doesn't actually pull any up.

Anyway, today, he had two chicken thighs for breakfast. Apparently he had some grass today (or maybe yesterday, who knows), b/c his poop was not even formed in the slightest.. almost liquid... and had grass in it. Any idea why this would have happened? The grass, maybe? He isn't eating enhanced meats. This isn't the first time I've noticed this, and it's not always with the same food. There is no particular food that I have noticed a pattern with. He had the same thing a few days ago with no problems. Tomorrow will probably be fine, but I'm just curious as to what could be causing the occasional change.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 9:59am PST 
Nobody has any ideas?

I know if I overdo organs or feed too much Max's poop is soft even with bone fed. He adores organ and his 10 ounces often doesn't look like enough food for my buddy so I still stick to weighing out his meals even after feeding raw for 5 years.

Some dogsters have noticed feeding green tripe helps with grass eating. I have tried to figure out what the attraction is. Prey model raw as fed to my dog is low in magnesium, manganese, vitamin E and zinc. I think grass can be high in all of the above save zinc. Green tripe might have a lot of manganese and magnesium. Of course dogs don't get a whole lot if anything from eating grass as it comes out unchanged!

Any gas or urps happening? Some dogs eat grass because their tummies are upset.

Dogs often get a mouthful of something they oughtn't. Are you positive he hasn't snuck something he shouldn't have? Max will have goopy eyes if either we give in and give him some wheat or he has helped himself to a crust.

I don't think it could be parasites if it is an occasional event.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 10:37am PST 
Could the grass have something on it? Like it has been treated?

Nare gets really.. uhm.. obsessed with grass if there is fresh pee there or it has been treated (the vet said some chemicals tastes sweet ?!).

Might be too much fat ?
[notify]

Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 9:14pm PST 
He grazes every single day! Tonight, he was just laying in the yard chomping away! I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not! But, this grazing isn't new. He has always done it. He gets tripe frequently. I can't imagine he is getting too much food, as he is already only getting just over 1% of his weight. I suppose the fat could have been an issue. I do notice that the days he eats bone and organ (I only feed chicken bones) that his poop is a yellowish brown color. Any idea about that?
[notify]